Author Topic: problems with auto-updates v731 (0xC0000005)  (Read 75404 times)

mystere

Re: problems with auto-updates v731
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34:52 AM »
I've got the same problems.  

Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed.  Return Code is 0xC0000005, dwRes is C0000005

Now, as a programmer, I know that 0xC0000005 means Exception Violation, which means some code somewhere in the application is trying to access memory it doesn't own.  This is a bug.

Additionally, Avast seems to be forcing activation of the Windows Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall service, even when the firewall is disabled.  You see this by going into Network Connections and you'll see the "Internet Connection" icon.  This shouldn't be happening, since i've disabled my firewall for a reason (I have a hardware firewall, I don't want a software one).

The ICS icon only appears when Avast tries to update, and then will not go away after that without a reboot, but then as soon as Avast tries to access it again, it's back again.

There is a problem here, and lots of people are seeing it.  This didn't happen prior to the 731 update.  Everything worked fine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 01:51:03 AM »
Thanks Mystere, makes sense...
Hope that they could solve this quicky. The number of threads about update problems are growing up  :P
The best things in life are free.

mystere

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 01:58:53 AM »
What's even more interesting is that going back to 691 works initially, but then the same problem reappears the second or third time you try to update.  Further, trying to download the VPS database manually tells me that the database is up to date, but yet About Avast tells me it's still the old version.

I have to think that the 731 update installed some component that does not get removed when you uninstall it, and this is causing an installation of an older version to also fail to update.

AvastForever

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 02:13:33 AM »
When i had 691 i had no problems with Web shield whats so ever. Now since i upgrade to new version im getting errors messages sometimes when i connect to internet about Web shield, then web shield do not want to work. It takes about 3 restarts of my computer to finally work the web shield. It only happend a few times, and i getting sick of tried of it. Soemtimes it work and sometimes it dont. What happend to new version? I see alot of peoples having trouble with it?
Do you see any info into avast logs?
Into Windows Events, is there anything that could give us a light?
Which firewall are you using? Is WebShield allowed to connect?

No. Im using ZA, and web shield is allow to connect. Right now it working fine, but sometimes out or blue moons it stop working when i connect to internet with my browser. It said a error has occur with Web shield. But now it working fine, so i hope it stay that way.

tgignac

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 02:15:37 AM »
Thanks Tech

I updated the program manually and now it works perfect :-)

wooohooooo!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 02:17:04 AM »
Thanks Tech
I updated the program manually and now it works perfect :-)
wooohooooo!!!
Glad to know... Not all the things could be solved... tonight it's not being an easy night. Glad it worked.
If you can, try to come back and help the others  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 02:33:21 AM »
In response to the post from mystere, I just disabled the Windows Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall service and restarted my system.  The automatic check at startup and a manual update attempt still work just fine and the status of the
Windows Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall service has not been changed.

It may well be a configuration issue, but it is not simply the status of that service I think. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 02:37:46 AM by alanrf »

mystere

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 06:51:24 AM »
I believe that the Internet Connection issue may be a red herring.  I had recently re-installed windows completely and it looks like XP SP2 is now detecting my hardware firewall on the network and providing a nice configuration utility called Internet Connection.  This wasn't happening before because I had UPnP disabled.

So scratch that part of my message.  I've reinstalled AVS several times now, even re-installed the OS 3 times now.  Each time I update to 731, i get the same problem with Avast no longer able to update, and with the setiface error in my log.  691 works perfectly on a clean machine.  There is definately something new in 731 that is breaking on my machine.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 07:40:03 AM »
mystere,

it is clear from the reports here that you and a number of other users are finding this problem that is removed by reverting to release 691. 

Unfortunately, it was not a problem that I can recall being experienced (or at least reported) by any of us who went through the beta testing of this release. 

While that does not make it any less real for the folks suffering the inconvenience, I suspect we will have to wait for further diagnosis by the avast development team.     
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 08:12:06 AM by alanrf »

JimTheMuso

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »
Well let's hope it's soon. I have read this thread with great interest and all that it said applies to me too. I also have all the remedies suggested with no lasting success. I am positive it is in the new version. Another peculiarity (in my case anyway) is that if I change the updates from automatic to either of the other options then that change is not saved. On closing the options screen it immediately reverts to automatic.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 12:48:16 PM »
Jim,

are you sure that, when you changed the update options, you clicked on the "OK" box afterwards? It can sometimes be too easy just to click on the "x" box in the top right corner which would discard the changes you selected.

If you are clicking the "OK" box then you are certainly getting a different result from me.

Forejt

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
Hi,
if you get error 0xC0000005, check running processes in Task Manager. If avast.setup process is already running, end this process and try update again. If it doesn't help, send files setup.ini and setup.log to my email address. Also send some details about your internet connection - dial-up/adsl/cable, proxy, firewall.

Error 0x00000002 (tgignac) means "file not found". In avast4/setup folder check if it contains file setup.ovr. Or send setup.log to my email too.

Persuader

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 01:37:19 PM »
I hope my experience with v731 helps to clarify the problem.

I have Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5_2525. Since v731 when avast tries to update my firewall wrongly detects an possible application hijacking in Avast because the update module is being called by another application - ashserv.exe (also avast). My firewall says something about an "unknown application using an allowed application to access the internet". Even if I agree to allow that and to remember my choice my firewall would gae the same message again and again. The only way to allow avast to update (and to be able to use the computer, which was nearly impossible with the firewall giving pop-ups) was disabling the firewall during the update process.

I hope this gives somes clues about what is happening.

JimTheMuso

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 03:51:48 PM »
Yes, I click the OK box and I have tried disabling absolutely EVERYTHING to see if there is a conflict.
Jim.

usagi

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 07:56:44 PM »
When will this bug be fixed?
There isn't any bug...
Why don't you download the full setupeng.exe file and try to update off-line, just running it over the old installation.
After that, like David said, firewall will ask for connections of the updated components.

i try to update manully but it fails
i got this message

Can't install VPS update. Please, report following errorcodes:
Ver: 4.6.691
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000