Author Topic: problems with auto-updates v731 (0xC0000005)  (Read 75678 times)

JimTheMuso

Re: problems with auto-updates v731
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
It's working perfectly on both my machines since my reinstalls as above. Several days now on the laptop and since yesterday on the desktop. Updates at least a couple of times each day.

Forejt

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2005, 05:49:59 PM »
JimTheMuso had different problem with user rights - ProcessGuard was blocking access to registry that avast needs to access for program update. So in this case, starting in safemode helps.

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce problem with error with code 0xC0000005,  so there's no solution yet. You can try to download full setup from our website and use it to update, or contact me by email.

JimTheMuso

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2005, 06:17:29 PM »
Yes, true but I was also getting the update problem with error
0xC0000005. The reinstall in safe mode fixed this problem on both machines also. I understand the problems may have been separate ones (although I still feel they were connected) but it still fixed both problems on both machines.

attfuzz

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »
I tried Jim's solution with the uninstall and then reinstalled Avast in Safe Mode. It did the auto update after the initial install and I was also able to manually update it through the system tray icon. So, as of now, all seems to be working. I'll check the auto thing tomorrow and report back.

Matrix_Peter

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2005, 01:08:41 AM »
I also encountered this error with Avast 4.6.731 not being able to update properly. Auto-update and Icon Tray update both end up displaying a message on a red background saying something to this effect: "An error has occured while updating."

When I try a manual update by downloading the VPS from avast.com, it crashes and shows what everyone else has reported.

On the other hand, if I uninstall the program, reboot, then install avast AND update without first rebooting, then I can install the VPS manually. Unfortunately, even after I manually updated, once I reboot and try updating using the Icon Tray, the same problem persists... Perhaps this might help the debugging team? Something is happening between installation and reboot which shouldn't be happening.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Matrix_Peter

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2005, 01:17:59 AM »
Oh, sorry, I didn't specify what crashed. I meant the VPS updater, and not Avast! itself.

The VPS I downloaded was the one from here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/update_avast_4_vps.html (Date: 24.11.2005, version: 0547-4)

Either way, I managed to update Avast! for now. I'll just have to wait until the next VPS to come out in order to see if the same bug/crash will appear.

Matrix_Peter

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2005, 05:06:36 AM »
If it helps, here's an attached picture with the error that the auto-updater produce (The zonealarm window shows that I did allow outbound connections by Avast! Updater).

internetstatic

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2005, 07:30:02 AM »
I followed Jim's instructions 'minus' the installation in the safe mode. Guess what! the auto-update doesnt' work.  :-\

I guess there's something wrong with the program itself when you have to install it in the safe mode for it to work!!

I observed one thing though... After installation (in the 6 day evaluation mode) the program updates itself perfectly, but after you add the regstration key it goes all kaput.

I went back to my old avast (.691). too many restarts!  >:(

*internetstatic*

galooma

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2005, 07:37:35 AM »
Have you tried re setting all your permissions in your firewall?
Zone alarm is a pain when it or something else updates because it doesnt always remember settings . can i suggest you try that next time you do update the program if in fact you are using ZA.
just remove the program permissions from the program page indicated above then update and grant them again.
good luck  :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2005, 08:28:45 AM »
Cloussau,

I do not want to fault you but there is, it seems to me, some logic lacking in your suggestion. 

When these users installed the new release of avast, they, as I did,  had to update the program permissions for all the changed avast components in ZoneAlarm.  Frankly , I am beginning to think this old story blaming things on forgotten permissions in ZoneAlarm is an urban myth.  It is not something I have ever seen in my use of that product. 

Anyway, if it is ZoneAlarm at fault, why on earth does not ZoneAlarm cause exactly the same problem when they reinstall 691, as many have done and find the avast update problem has disappeared. 

I have yet to see one report in this forum of someone experiencing this problem, who then chose to revert to using 691 and then continued to experience any difficulty. 

I hope that the avast team is working more closely with someone experiencing this error than we are seeing reported here. 

I am sure that most of the user base have updated without problems, but there certainly seem to be quite a few users reporting the same issue in several threads who must be feeling rather frustrated. 

Perhaps the avast team can provide a status update on their current take on this problem.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 09:00:47 AM by alanrf »

kiyh33

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2005, 10:26:49 AM »
I have one probleme...
I install v.4.6.731 e i inside the key
But i dont cant update the vps

I have the error:

In red box: "An error has ocurred while attempting to update!

If i update offline (file of site), i have the error: "Can`t install vps update. Please, report following errorcodes:
Ver:4.6.731
SI: 0x000000005
ST: 0xC00000005
LE: 0x000000000."

What i do to this update work???

I have Xp sp2
firewall sp2 "open port" avast...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:57:13 AM by kiyh33 »

JimTheMuso

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2005, 11:10:34 AM »
Further to the above - I don't have Zone Alarm. I just use the XP  firewall - and ProcessGuard was disabled during all these problems. This is a good product and the guys who develop it do a good job but sometimes they are like politicians - deny everything and keep wriggling until caught.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »
Further to the above - I don't have Zone Alarm. I just use the XP  firewall - and ProcessGuard was disabled during all these problems.
ProcessGuard acts at very low level in the file system. Even disable, a lot of troubles you'll see with antivirus, firewall, partition operations, etc.

This is a good product and the guys who develop it do a good job but sometimes they are like politicians - deny everything and keep wriggling until caught.
Which product? avast or ProcessGuard?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2005, 11:39:28 AM »
Kiyh33, did you try to update at a non-administrator account?
Did you use the Trial version before the Home?

Will this procedure help?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17433.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17379.0