Author Topic: problems with auto-updates v731 (0xC0000005)  (Read 75418 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: problems with auto-updates v731
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2005, 02:56:48 PM »
As test123 I would like to re-install the old version v691... I am running Win 98SE with no firewall and since I install the new version I can't perform auto- update...

Please ! there is someone to give me the link to get the old version..??... I 've tried to find it on the  www .... nothing !
That would be difficult as many sites only hold the latest version for download for obvious reasons. There are some sites that keep old versions of software (try google search for download avast 4.6.691), but I don't know if they would have avast.

However, going back just because the auto update isn't working would seem to be over kill (unless you have other issues not mentioned) when the purpose of the update to improve avast and fix some bugs, probably more of an issue that the auto update problem.

Can try a manual update if you can then this would seem to be an unnecessary step?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2005, 03:10:48 PM »
Please ! there is someone to give me the link to get the old version..??
There is no mirrors for the old setup file.
Didn't you save it into your HDD when you install avast first?
The best things in life are free.

sky727

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2005, 03:27:06 PM »
Hi,

Of course understand I can continue with manual update, sure, but hope the problem of the auto-update being soon resolved... it's worse  :( because a month ago everything was working fine..!!

I did not find at this time the old version on the www with google search or else...

Thanks anyway and have a good day... :D
Pierre

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2005, 03:32:09 PM »
Of course understand I can continue with manual update, sure, but hope the problem of the auto-update being soon resolved... it's worse  :( because a month ago everything was working fine..!!

Unfortunatelly, no mirrors provide the old version. You should have it for install in your own computer.
But let Alwil try to solve this. It's good to keep complaining.
Something should be wrong in 731 version update as for some users, no solution at all...  :'( :P

njoys1life

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2005, 04:35:34 PM »
Even though Avast is having a problem with auto-updates, I still think this is the best antivirus solution out there, u all have come up with some innovative ideas, keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 04:38:21 PM by njoys1life »

sky727

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2005, 06:11:10 PM »
Hot Saturday...

found a site with old version... (4.665)... Ask manual language pack download and the program was automatically updated to v 731... so there is something wrong.... still keep avast and will perform manual vps update... waiting for alwil to correct the problem, definitively there is a bug in... ::)

Running Win98SE with no Fire wall, Avast was running fine since more than 1 year and auto update problems appears 3 week ago...

Thanks for your help !! keep in touch

Have a good day  ;)

Pierre

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »
Ask manual language pack download and the program was automatically updated to v 731
It's normal, expected and ok.
avast translations are not a language pack or ini file.
The translations are hardcoded INTO avast executables and dll.
Updating the language is, in fact, updating the program itself.
You must keep the original language of the old downloaded version. No way.

internetstatic

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
Has anyone used the new version without registering it? One has 60 days to evauate it right?!!? I think the auto-update problem doesn't occur then. It's only when you add the key, it starts acting funny.  ???

I did send an email to customer service about this problem and I got a reply with a link to this thread saying that someone had found a solution to the problem.  ;)

I am back to my .691 and will stick to it till I am confident that the update issue has been solved.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2005, 10:54:56 PM »
Has anyone used the new version without registering it? One has 60 days to evauate it right?!!? I think the auto-update problem doesn't occur then. It's only when you add the key, it starts acting funny.  ???
Isn't the demo key installed as the same as the product?
Maybe some new antipiracy method...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2005, 04:13:28 AM »
DavidR said,

However, going back just because the auto update isn't working would seem to be over kill (unless you have other issues not mentioned) when the purpose of the update to improve avast and fix some bugs, probably more of an issue that the auto update problem.

Can try a manual update if you can then this would seem to be an unnecessary step?

I find it hard to think of a comment in this forum with which I more thoroughly disagree.

The whole reason for the existence of this product is to provide rapid protection to the user community from the latest viruses spreading through the net.  If it does not provide that protection it is just so much waste of disk space and system resources and users should be out there looking for a product that will do the job. 

This update was advertised to us by Vlk as a minor point upgrade containing very little new functionality. 

If you have read through the user responses you will note that most of those for whom  automatic update does not work have reported that manual update does not work either.  Not exactly a surprise since the automated update is just simply what it says ... an automated manual update.

So this proportion of the users of avast are being left without antivirus updates for a point update that contains very little of use to most of them.

Far better for them to have an old version that does provide virus update protection than a point release update that (for the proportion affected) is totally derelict in its primary purpose.

I think that avast users contributing in this forum are doing a fantastic job in trying to help the affected group but the apparent lack of response and support from the avast team leaves me wondering if my previous faith in them is misplaced. 

I suggest to the avast team that, until this issue can be resolved, they should at least provide a link to the 691 version for the affected users.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 04:35:24 AM by alanrf »

Matrix_Peter

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2005, 08:13:37 AM »
If you have read through the user responses you will note that most of those for whom  automatic update does not work have reported that manual update does not work either.  Not exactly a surprise since the automated update is just simply what it says ... an automated manual update.
Exactly, and that's the problem. It seems that the auto-update encounters error and the manual update (via downloading the VPS) will crash.

I really do hope a resolution is provided very soon, since I deleted my .691 installation file once I updated to .731...

galooma

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2005, 09:58:30 AM »

I suggest to the avast team that, until this issue can be resolved, they should at least provide a link to the 691 version for the affected users.
I tend to agree with this

Looking back through the beta release thread there doesnt seem to have been an issue with updating until around Nov 20 which was a week after the final release.

Those that did have problems were able to attribute their problems to logical errors and find solutions reasonably easily.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2005, 01:06:59 PM »
Far better for them to have an old version that does provide virus update protection than a point release update that (for the proportion affected) is totally derelict in its primary purpose.
Fully agree.

I think that avast users contributing in this forum are doing a fantastic job in trying to help the affected group but the apparent lack of response and support from the avast team leaves me wondering if my previous faith in them is misplaced. 
Where is avast team when we need official support and help? Something is wrong with 731 updates...

I would say more, I think Alwil should allow this for ever: the latest and the previous version for download.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »

I don't think there's any difference between the Demo period and the registered period (unless the demo or key is expired, of course).
You may send the whole setup log file to forejt to check if there's any difference between the demo and registered period (regarding the updates), but I sort of doubt it.

It seems that the auto-update encounters error and the manual update (via downloading the VPS) will crash.

I haven't seen a single report of a crash here. A crash means that windows display an error message. Actually, it would be more helpful if it did - because a real crash would provide more information.

I would say more, I think Alwil should allow this for ever: the latest and the previous version for download.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it will ever happen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 01:29:38 PM by igor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »
Just my opinion, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Why not? Tons of other applications do it. It will solve a lot of headaches while upgrading versions.
I agree that this will flood the forums with a question: Which version of avast are you using?  :'(