Author Topic: Avast Popups  (Read 3048 times)

REDACTED

Avast Popups
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:18:27 PM »
Congratulations on joining the ranks of McAfee and Norton as nuisance and obtrusive virus protection!

I have been using the paid version of Avast for a number of years and it's been building for a while--having to opt out and block irritating popups and offers.

I paid for this program; quit interrupting my movies, gaming, and other computing with ads.

I have unchecked the popups options, and yes, it is is silent/gaming mode.  Still get pop ups and here's the big rub: the offers are for 0% off.  They aren't even really offers.  It's compound irritation.

Like many internet companies, you started out as a decent company, trying to provide customers with a great product at a reasonable price.  As your company grew you began trying to squeeze every dollar out of them, through whatever means possible.  Now you are merely another virus program that almost cause as much intrusion as you protect from.

(Edited to be less profane and reactive--I was just upset that a company allowed sensitive access to my computer was using that trust to spam ads, apologies)

Sub runs out in 3 days, then I move on.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:42:05 PM by inverse4 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Popups
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
You can disable all offers if you use Silent/Gaming Mode.
Or you can disable the popup option only right below.

Do you mean that both options still give you popups?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »
Yes, when I boot up I am greeted with the ad, and on occasion one springs up out of no where.

Double-checked, Silent/gaming mode is active, and popups is unchecked. (the opposite of what your pic shows).

And why spam special offers of 0% off?  It's like insult to pop-up injury.  "HEY LOOK! ACT FAST TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NOTHING!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:46:56 PM by inverse4 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:15 PM »
Could you post a screenshot..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »
lol sure

I appreciate the help offers, but from here I'll either go free and not complain about the popups (not paying and getting ads, one should negate the other) or finding another company still trying to impress customers. (and capcha for EVERY post?)

I will say in all the years I used Avast, I had 0 infections.  You did your job.  You've just become a different company now, and I don't care to have my security doubling as a marketing tool.

Thanks again, but I won't be monitoring the thread, so no need to work on the problem for me.  Just a note of awareness for those considering Avast and a subscription;  Paying and/or opting out doesn't always mean opting out.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
and capcha for EVERY post?
Spam protection .... Only first 3, so you are done    ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
lol sure
No, I meant a screenshot of the popup you get.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
here's the one that greeted me when I booted up this evening.

again, no need to work on it, either going free or another program.

love the red scare banner.