Author Topic: Since updating to Avast! v.731 cannot open links  (Read 3353 times)

X

Since updating to Avast! v.731 cannot open links
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:34:08 PM »
Since my Avast! updated to the new .731 version I have not been able to click on a link in a web page and have the link open up either in the existing window or in a new window, the links now don't do anything.  I have not changed any settings only downloaded the updated Avast! program. 

BTW, when composing this message I clicked on the Spell Check button and even it will now work for me.  I really don't know what to do!  Help!

Can you please help me figure this out?

I am running widows XP Pro with Outpost Firewall v3.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Since updating to Avast! v.731 cannot open links
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »
I am running widows XP Pro with Outpost Firewall v3.0
Isn't OP blocking pop-ups?
avast should block ANY pop-up as it is not a pop-up killer... Are you, at least, seeing a page with connection error or even this you can't see, just the window does not open...?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 12:06:23 AM »
Please check and ensure that you have one of your browsers set as the default browser or this may happen as it wouldn't know which to use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

X

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 01:29:48 AM »
As far as I know my OP does not block pop-ups and these are not pop-ups that should be blocked anyway.  What is being blocked is when I click on "spell check" here on your site or when I click on a link that is supposed to take me to another page, that sort of thing. 

Please check and ensure that you have one of your browsers set as the default browser or this may happen as it wouldn't know which to use.

How do you check this? 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:10:57 AM »
I don't know what your browser is, I suggest you check the browser help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »
These are not pop-ups that should be blocked anyway.
No, they're pop-ups, they start new browser windows, they're pop-up...

How do you check this? 
Maybe you can understand David's question easily if you answer: which browser do you have installed in your system? When you click over a HTML FILE into Windows Explorer, which brower opens?
The best things in life are free.

greensweater

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »
Same problem here - web access is totally blocked - Firefox, IE and Outlook Express all fail. Can still use SSH & FTP. Running W2K with no firewall software (using external firewall).

Solution: disable On-Access protection... which is kind of the whole point of running a virus scanner...