Author Topic: "Secure DNS cannot run on this network"  (Read 18214 times)

REDACTED

Re: "Secure DNS cannot run on this network"
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:06 PM »
Reported to Moderators let's see if that get a reply from Avast. :)
Thanks Bob. The problem still persists so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem and would appreciate any help. I've tried the suggestions to fix and they don't work.
Thanks!

Thank you once again Bob for coming to rescue.   ;)  I waited several days before I updated to the new version so the bugs could be worked out.   I have come to expect some issues whenever Avast sends out program updates.   Looks like I didn't wait long enough this time.
Again, thanks --> they take notice when you help out.  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
"Again, thanks --> they take notice when you help out.  "
@ streim
Sometimes but not always. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

Secure DNS cannot run on this network - Doesn't work, Works, Doesn't work
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
As I spent a recent two days figuring out how someone from Han Hoi Precision Ind. Co. Ltd. had a local IP address on my network and getting it cleaned up. During that time I found the Secure DNS feature going on-and-off without cause. (not cycling quickly). After everything was cleaned and verified, the Secure DNS feature was on and working. Then a few hours later, it was off again. After verifying I wasn't under attack and everything was stable, it went on again. And now it's off again.

I found the device injected into my network by running the Avast 'Scan for network threats' and if not for that feature, I may have never found the intruder. That said though, the person probably got in because the Secure DNS feature is inconsistent.

If Avast doesn't at least post a response to these concerns soon, I'm going to have to assume they're not so good at this home network security thing.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
same problem here , on avast premium , seen it because had the 'online content unavailable' bug ... hope it wont open my computer to attacks

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
Hi, i am German. My English is not good
I have the Problem too

I Have a new FritzBox 7490.
And Windows 10 Home, 64bit
Avast Pro Antivirus 2015

Is it a Problem with my Router, Windows 10 or a Avast Problem

Offline beegolden

Re: Secure DNS cannot run on this network - Doesn't work, Works, Doesn't work
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
As I spent a recent two days figuring out how someone from Han Hoi Precision Ind. Co. Ltd. had a local IP address on my network and getting it cleaned up. During that time I found the Secure DNS feature going on-and-off without cause. (not cycling quickly). After everything was cleaned and verified, the Secure DNS feature was on and working. Then a few hours later, it was off again. After verifying I wasn't under attack and everything was stable, it went on again. And now it's off again.

I found the device injected into my network by running the Avast 'Scan for network threats' and if not for that feature, I may have never found the intruder. That said though, the person probably got in because the Secure DNS feature is inconsistent.

If Avast doesn't at least post a response to these concerns soon, I'm going to have to assume they're not so good at this home network security thing.

Thanks for the idea to run a scan for network threats. Mine was fine thankfully and from the report, it looks like the Secure DNS is working even if the main GUI screen says it's not ...
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free

Offline beegolden

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »

fairly confident that it's Avast. I checked my router and it's fine and I run Windows 7.
(you're English is much better than my German!)  ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »

fairly confident that it's Avast. I checked my router and it's fine and I run Windows 7.

Ok, thanks, then i wait for a Update from Avast

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

Hi myNameHere,
these two events can hardly have any connection. SecureDNS is a feature that protects your computer by encrypting all DNS traffic and forwarding the DNS traffic to our own servers - this does not affect how intruders get or not get into your network.

We have experienced a short backend outage of the SecureDNS servers several days ago, but the servers are now back on and running.

Lukas.

Offline cruiser25

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »
Well if it´s now up and running can you explain why the message persists on the Avast  UI ?
You says that avast had problems with the secure DNS server and now it´s up and running so what shall we do when we still have the message ? The problem started 2015.10.03 on my computer is this about the date that your server wasn´t working properly. It would be helpful if that was confirmed . Plus any suggestions to get rid of the message.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:11:58 PM by cruiser25 »

Offline beegolden

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 07:48:27 AM »

Ok, thanks, then i wait for a Update from Avast

You're most welcome. Hope the fix comes soon!

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:40:35 AM »
I got same problem here in swe aswell, started yday (or i noticed it yday)
hope to see a answer and fix for it soon.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
I am also having this issue.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »

Hi myNameHere,
these two events can hardly have any connection. SecureDNS is a feature that protects your computer by encrypting all DNS traffic and forwarding the DNS traffic to our own servers - this does not affect how intruders get or not get into your network.

We have experienced a short backend outage of the SecureDNS servers several days ago, but the servers are now back on and running.

Lukas.

I got the same 'intruders' with the name Han Hoi &C. 9 of them to be precise. Apparently now they are gone.How do you explain these?

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have already tried fixing the Avast in the control panel, tried to boot the computer with and without the ethernet cable, tried to turn the Safe DNS on and off and, looked for new definitions of virus and software update and nothing worked.

Let's try to find something in common between us:

In my case, this problem started after the last software update. Have you guys noticed if it started after this update too?

As i said before, i did not changed a thing in my network.

I'm a Windows 7 Professional user and i'm constantly updating my O.S.