Author Topic: virus updates "access denied" Avast (free)  (Read 3242 times)

REDACTED

virus updates "access denied" Avast (free)
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:30 AM »
When I try to allow virus updates, I get the message Access Denied.  If I look at the base software it says under properties version 10.3.2223.1143.  Under the AvastUI the version says 10.3.2223 but dated 12/31/1969. 

What programs must be allowed in my Firewall to allow virus updates?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: virus updates "access denied" Avast (free)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
Check your system date day/month/year and adjust as required.

If the date is correct, try an avast Repair - Control Panel > add remove programs/programs and features > avast antivirus > Change - from the next screen scroll down to Repair and OK your way out - reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
Date/time all nicely set by Netclock on boot.  Tried repair (WinXp3) and got BSOD from anti-tamper at end of repair.  Rebooted to safe mode & completed repair with Avast complaining about Vipre.  Still get access denied message on attempts to update definitions.

So, perhaps Avast can't be used as a secondary, backup scanner?  My 'subscription' expires today apparently, I don't quite understand what that means.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Avast complaining about Vipre
So you have two AV installed .... there is your problem

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea   https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea

General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software   https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

if you want a extra scanner use one that is made for it, like Malwarebytes

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:59:05 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
Ok.

Most certainly one shouldn't have two AV solutions running at the same time.  I had thought that disabling Avast's real-time activity would prevent that and that I could get updated definitions regardless.  I suppose that assumption was incorrect.  Pity.

Now onto the removal tool.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Disabling is not enoug bc of the way AV install, they dig deep in to the OS so that they can investigate all corners of your computer

The best extra scanner that exist is Malwarebytes and it is made to run alongside AV as a help tool

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:36:32 PM »
Disabling is not enoug bc of the way AV install, they dig deep in to the OS so that they can investigate all corners of your computer

The best extra scanner that exist is Malwarebytes and it is made to run alongside AV as a help tool

As mentioned, resident on-access scanners are designed to have low level drivers so that they can intercept files so that they can be scanned. Even when the shields are disabled there can be conflict between both AVs low level drivers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
All this has been interesting.  But it never has addressed the issue of "access denied' for updates.  While, indeed, there may be clashes between two A-V scanners because of their low level file demands, if the user chooses to try the product anyway why shouldn't the product allow definition updates?  Now, if there might be damage to the machine because of conflict, the prohibition seems valid.  But if it's a simple loop effect between two products trying to fight over an item of malware, that's an issue I can deal with.