Author Topic: Stongly suggest ... don't download Grimefighter ... high risk of file corruption  (Read 7236 times)

REDACTED

Just be smart and don't download Grimefighter ... you stand a good chance of a corrupted portion of your system ... I downloaded and Outlook would not send/receive properly ... I did a system restore to a point before the Grime culprit was loaded ... now the keyboard won't enter characters into the password line ... result; I must remove hard drive ... attempt to salvage information from the drive ... and do a repair installation on my Dell notebook ... which by the way I had legal documents in progress that are now late to court.  What a mess.  Stay clear of this Grimey add on ... the risk/reward is heavily weighted to the risk side of the equation. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
A system restore was not needed.
Simply running GrimeFighter again and undo the changes would/should have solved the problems.

There is no need to salvage data from the drive if you where smart and had a backup of the data and/or a image of the drive.

If the documents are too late, you are responsible for it not avast/GrimeFighter.
I hope it will never happen to you, but what if your house gets on fire?
What do you think to do if your hardware dies?

REDACTED

I've been around long enough to recognize software that will be efficient and software that will cause problems ... GrimeFighter falls into the second category... it is a risky download.  As to your suggestion to go back and run the program again that caused the problem in the first place is not a prudent path ... running the offending program again that caused the problem ... now that just does not make sense and one would immediately discount your input.  From a practical standpoint, backing up is usually done on a schedule ... not every day.  As for houses burning down ... let me say with all confidence that the odds that GrimeFighter will turn your computer into a boat anchor are 70 out of 100 and the odds your house catches fire in the USA are magnitudes lower ... on the level of 3/10ths of 1%.  Furthermore ... I did not ask for assistance ... I posted my opinion as someone who is computer literate for over 20 years and wanted to save other people from suffering the damage GrimeFighter can bring to a personal computer.  I say again ... I strongly suggest folks avoid downloading GrimeFighter ... you are risking a problem with your system.     

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
As to your suggestion to go back and run the program again that caused the problem in the first place is not a prudent path ... running the offending program again that caused the problem ... now that just does not make sense and one would immediately discount your input.
It makes perfectly sense to run it again and select "undo changes".
From a practical standpoint, backing up is usually done on a schedule ... not every day.
Daily is also a schedule. Since you are working with documents for/from the court, you should at least have a daily backup.
I posted my opinion as someone who is computer literate for over 20 years
No, you are not computer literate. If you where, you would have created a backup of the data and/or a image of the drive before installing GrimeFighter (or any other software) and running it. You would have know how to undo the changes that GrimeFighter had made etc.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
@Eddy,
Arguing solves nothing and certainly doesn't help the customer with his problem.
You are correct that the customer should have created a backup before running Grimfighter or any other
One Button Fix All program.

@ Col T.
The downloading of Grimefighter isn't the problem. Running a program that makes potentially unwanted changes to your system
without preparing for a recovery is never a good thing.
Re-running Grimefighter and selecting a reversal of the changes it made is one way to possibly restore the changes the program made to your system.
Since you don't have any other way to recover what's apparently lost, you really have nothing to loose by trying that option.
At worst, the information is still lost. At best, the information is restored and you'll know for the next time that a safe approach even if time consuming
is still the best way to proceed.
Good luck. :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

I hope somebody can help. Desk top pc running windows xp home edition takes 14 minutes to load up  plus runs quite slow (at times but not always). Not enough hours in the day to ever restart system if programme requests to do so (new install eg). Running Avast anti-virus, pop up said performance issues with computer, paid £14.99 year subscription to Avast grimefighter, started programme which found loads of stuff, but can not get beyond messages - 'Grimefighter requires the internet. Try refreshing below, toggling your wi-fi, radio or plugging in via ethernet' then 'Server not found. Iceweazel can't find trhe server at www.grimefighter.com'
Can't you just tell that I have limited computer capabilities! POSSIBLE REFUND PLEASE?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
I hope somebody can help. Desk top pc running windows xp home edition takes 14 minutes to load up  plus runs quite slow (at times but not always). Not enough hours in the day to ever restart system if programme requests to do so (new install eg). Running Avast anti-virus, pop up said performance issues with computer, paid £14.99 year subscription to Avast grimefighter, started programme which found loads of stuff, but can not get beyond messages - 'Grimefighter requires the internet. Try refreshing below, toggling your wi-fi, radio or plugging in via ethernet' then 'Server not found. Iceweazel can't find trhe server at www.grimefighter.com'
Can't you just tell that I have limited computer capabilities! POSSIBLE REFUND PLEASE?

Hi
I can understand your frustration. I think it's unfortunate that these kinds of pop ups cause people to believe there is a problem with an agenda to slick a user into an unnecessary purchase and residual issues that result. :-\

https://support.avast.com > Submit a Support Ticket, explain your issue in detail if you want support.
OR you can Request a Refund. :)
You do not have to pay for support with a Ticket.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:50:16 PM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

hola, nunca anduvo mi grimefighter, una porqueria me arruino el sistema, decime si te devolvieron el dinero que pagaste?
gracias

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
hola, nunca anduvo mi grimefighter, una porqueria me arruino el sistema, decime si te devolvieron el dinero que pagaste?
gracias
Please post English here, else use the forum section for your language.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

I used to have an HP computer running Vista that was slow, so i bought a new HP paviion and intalled Avast.  I bought Grimefighter for the old machine in an attempt to speed it up.  Grimefighter took longer and longer to work and in the end I left it on and went to bed.  Unfortunately when I went to use this pc it was no longer working and would only come up with a boot message none of the options would work.  i gave it to someone more technnical than me and he said it was unlikely to work again, some of the keyboard letters were no longer working and Vista would not boot up. I thought about  buying Windows 7 for it but it is a risk as it may not work. Grimefighter had by this time been automaticaly renewed, so I asked the people who renewed it if i could use it on my new HP paviion. thy referred me to this site, but I really need to talk to the peope who can transfer my license from my old defunct machine to this new one. Any ideas anybody? I have tried ringing the numbers given me. One answered in a foreign language and the other just didnt work.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
roseken
Why on earth would you want to use a "one click" cleaner tool on a Brand New Laptop. ???
There's no Grime!!!