Author Topic: viruses/spyware/malware  (Read 4337 times)

Yinyang4evry1

viruses/spyware/malware
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »
i'm just really paranoid that some viruses/spyware/malware might "somehow" control my cd burner and burn their info on my cd's such as my recovery cd for my computer...i wouldn't want that because everytime i recover , they would always be there
but....maybe im worrying too much

but to the best of the knowledge of the people here at the forum,
do u guys think any viruses/spyware/malware have that ability?

thanks,
tim ;) ;D   

lee16

Re: viruses/spyware/malware
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:04:06 PM »
Iv never head of a virus "controlling" a CD burner before, i must admit i would be surprised if one could, however if you make back-ups of your system, and one of your system files is infected, then yes it will carry over, best bet there is to scan your back-ups before you transfer them to your PC.

Hope this helps

--lee

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:36:30 PM »
yes, it does

thanks a whole bunch,
tim ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »
If you are a little paranoid, then I suggest you check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator.

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Don't let malware inherit administrator rights by default and get established in your system folders and registry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:41:39 AM »
thnx
that was a good piece of info for me
i'm gonna make a second lower account for windows now

tim ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 12:51:07 AM »
You don't need to create a second restricted user account, that is the idea of dropmyrights, you use your normal account and creat a different shortcut to run dropmyrights which will launch you browser with restricted rights, whilst you retain full rights.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security