Author Topic: Computer intermittently freezing  (Read 17412 times)

REDACTED

Re: Computer intermittently freezing
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
Hi again and thanks for your answers and help. Buuuut

1) I've installed the 10.2.2215 version (with and without internet connection), then
2) went to options->udates->Manual Updates for program and virus db,
3) introduce the file license and it starts to download the current version 2225 and the PC freezes few minutes later.

The 2215 and 2218 versions don't install the FireWall Shell and AntiSpam Shield

How can I prevent that "automatic program update". I just want the old version with the FireWall Shield

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »
I just want the old version with the FireWall Sheld
what avast are you installing?  avast free and avast PRO does not have firewall

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
I have Internet Security with 3 licenses for 2 years, ends April 2016. I downloaded the 2215 free version that Asyn suggested and installed as usual, then desactivate the updates and added the license file- It went directly to download the new version!!!
The free version downloaded from oldapp.com

But the real problem is that it goes directly to update, not matter if I choose or not "Manual Updates"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:44:32 PM by arigamor »

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Hi again and thanks for your answers and help. Buuuut

1) I've installed the 10.2.2215 version (with and without internet connection), then
2) went to options->udates->Manual Updates for program and virus db,
3) introduce the file license and it starts to download the current version 2225 and the PC freezes few minutes later.

The 2215 and 2218 versions don't install the FireWall Shell and AntiSpam Shield

How can I prevent that "automatic program update". I just want the old version with the FireWall Shield
Do what you were doing in going back to 2215 but...

Don't click the Program update button in Image 1 - only click the Virus Definitions update. Click the Settings button and set updates to manual or it will also update the program.

Don't click the update button in Image 2 - it will update the program to 2225 even if you have updates set to manual. It 's best to change the Update square to Browser Cleaner or something else.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:10:52 PM by moznewbie »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
Thanks Moznewbie. I unistalled it in secure mode, run avastclear, installed 2215 back and open the options to update the virus definition file, buuuut I couldn't. The update button was disabled because Avast was very busy updating the program to version 2225.

Unfortunatly it does it automatically, as soon as it gets connection to internet.

Installing without internet connection is posible, but you can not update the virus definition file and some day I would have to go online, wouldnt I? LOL.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
I just successfully installed Avast Free Antivirus 2218 using Asyn's link.

I immediately set both virus definitions and program updates to manual (usual for me).

I received a popup message advising me that an update to my version of Avast antivirus is available, but it was not installed.

I was advised that virus definitions were fully updated so I have had no need to update them yet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:59:57 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline David743

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »
Noted comments re program version 2218 and 2225. But updating 18 to 25 causes hang at "saving package, this may take a while" This issue affects two PC and laptop running XP Home SP3. Eventually system freezes on PC and only way out is power down. On laptop, cannot shut windows down so again have to power off. Both definitions set to manually update, (done everyday prior to work) and program set to advise new version. Defs update OK. Can provide all data necessary to do full scale investigation but hoping some-one has seen this and resolved it. Only hardware change is to TP-Link modem but cannot think why this should be a problem. Win 7 system updates program OK to 25 but only just done so have to wait for some good usage.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
Same problems here...
Firefox, Avast, Vista...
Will try the 2218 solution.
It definitely started after Avast upgrade some weeks ago. No issues before that.

Thanks for your help.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 03:02:59 AM »
Hello,
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 with Avast Free 2015 10.3.2233. I have been having intermittent problems with my PC freezing while using Internet Explorer or Firefox causing me to have to hard boot to recover. Has anyone notified Avast support about this issue?
Thanks.
Rich

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
Hello,
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 with Avast Free 2015 10.3.2233. I have been having intermittent problems with my PC freezing while using Internet Explorer or Firefox causing me to have to hard boot to recover. Has anyone notified Avast support about this issue?
Thanks.
Rich
Yes!

The problems started with the 2225 update that came in at the end of July. There were numerous complaints. mostly from XP sp3 users with Firefox. 10 weeks later and the 2233 update has exactly the same issues. Your options are to remove the current version of Avast and reinstall version 2215 or 2218, remove the current version of Avast and use another antivirus product, or struggle along as you are with continual freezing problems. Avast is no longer on my XP computer. I went back to the 2215 version in early August and patiently waited for an improvement on the 2225 disaster. 2233 wasn't it! I have better things to do than keep dealing with crashes and reinstalling antivirus software. Bottom line - if Avast was going to fix the problem it would have been done by now. I'm not waiting another 10 weeks for an update. The new 2233 version seems to cause problems with some versions of Windows 10. I'm still following this only because I have 2 computers using Win 7 and 1 using Win 8 that i'm waiting to update to Win 10. I liked Avast but I wouldn't recommend it any more.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 12:44:29 AM »
The current version of Avast works well on Windows 10. There have been some problems for those of us who are using
the Insider Preview Developers latest version build 10547. I'm one of those but after some experimenting, I've worked out those problems.
There were also problems installing the latest beta version of Avast but that's the nature of beta testing.
Unfortunately Windows XP has limitations and getting it working properly with much of the latest software is a struggle.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 04:17:06 AM »
I just want to report the freezing issue with 2225 and continuing with 2233 is not isolated to XP. I use Avast on Vista 32 bit and have the same exact freezing issue. This was also reported by others using Vista.

Offline TSquare

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 05:39:14 AM »
The current version of Avast works well on Windows 10. There have been some problems for those of us who are using
the Insider Preview Developers latest version build 10547. I'm one of those but after some experimenting, I've worked out those problems.
There were also problems installing the latest beta version of Avast but that's the nature of beta testing.
Unfortunately Windows XP has limitations and getting it working properly with much of the latest software is a struggle.
This particular computer freezing/lockup problem has nothing to do with Windows 10 or beta versions. I'm on Vista and use Avast Free public release. The lockup started with Avast 2225, going back to 2218 solves the problem. And yes, I have tried the latest Free version of Avast. It still locks up the computer.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
I uninstalled 2233 and installed 2215 and turned off automatic update. Let's see. I'm not happy that Avast is doing nothing about it.

Offline TSquare

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »
I uninstalled 2233 and installed 2215 and turned off automatic update. Let's see. I'm not happy that Avast is doing nothing about it.

Only turn off Automatic Program Updates. You can leave the Definitions set to Auto Update.