Poll

Is avast! should add inbuild Ad blocker for all product(Free) also?Epecially for MS EDGE?

Yes.definitely.
9 (42.9%)
No.
12 (57.1%)
Maybe
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: September 16, 2015, 06:57:30 AM

Author Topic: AVAST! inbuild Ad blocker  (Read 11718 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: AVAST! inbuild Ad blocker
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
My mistake, I just confirmed it with Adguard Techs as I though that might have been a beta version ::) I also discovered 2.0.14 is the latest :)

@Craig you better give midnight a kiss on her head otherwise she'll wack you with her broom ;)
That aint gonna happen...unless she flies to Australia on that broom ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
That aint gonna happen...unless she flies to Australia on that broom ;D

Let me guess that old TV show call Samantha Stephens 'Bewitched' ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
OpenCandy is not malware but a PUP that comes bundled with some free software you installed, and most likely because you did not use custom install

Agree very much with this, you need to watch 'free' software installers like a hawk and even then Open Candy can be sneaked onto your system.

Burnaware a pretty good disc burner never used to include OC in their update installer but then they suddenly decided to do so and, worse, make it non-optional. That fact was hidden away at the bottom of the TOA which I'd bet even many otherwise diligent people would have missed. A very similar story occurred with CDBurnerXP.  In the later case I missed it and it got onto my machine.

Luckily it is a relatively benign PUP and easy enough to remove but it still annoyed me. I stopped updating both programs for months. I suspect a lot of other previously happy users did too because the installers/updaters now do include links specifically to an Open Candy free update installer, an option likely prompted by a deluge of complaints.

If any 'free' software programs I need are available at Ninite.com they're always my first port of call when looking for adware free clean downloads.  Although I don't rely 100% on its claim to have stripped out all the unwanted elements it is a good place to start if you're as paranoid as I am about avoiding the bad stuff.