Author Topic: How to get rid of "monthly stats" popup?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Vanguard_LH

How to get rid of "monthly stats" popup?
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:04 PM »
In previous versions of Avast Free, there was an option under the Popups section for "Show monthly security reports".  By deselecting this option, this popup was disabled.  I would not get nuisanced in the middle of doing work with the superfluous and interrupting popup.  In the latest version of the program, I cannot find this option. 

Yes, I know Avast Free is adware.  In the past, that was just some ads in their UI.  Eventually it became popups to nuisance users into buying.  Sometimes it gets very noisy with popups showing up every day for awhile (and when I start looking at other free solutions, like BitDefender Free).  Then it quiets down for awhile.  However, a monthly status report is not something that adware would likely shove into the user's face since it is not about buying anything. 

Do I have to configure Avast Free to not log into my online account to eliminate the nuisance popup about a monthly security report that I don't want to see?  I would think that information was local but maybe Avast doesn't store it local but accumulates the data up in the online account.  So perhaps the only way for me to eliminate the superfluous popup would be to logout in Avast from my account.  All because Avast took away a popup option that was there before.

Oh goody, someone at Avast hasn't a clue about security.  I already have to login to post here which means I already must have an account in order to login.  Yet the forum software requires that I satisfy a CAPTCHA input before I can post.  Apparently there really is no admin or moderation of these forums if they have to rely on a CAPTCHA input to eliminate robotic/scripted abuse of their forums.  So I have to login AND have to enter a CAPTCHA string.  Wow, Avast really does enjoy nuisancing their customers.

REDACTED

Re: How to get rid of "monthly stats" popup?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »
I thought the monthly popup about usage stats was bad.  Avast has decided to go through another round of advertising.  Their free version certainly is adware.  All their nuisance popups do is prod me to find another more polite free anti-virus/malware solution, and pushes me AWAY from considering buying their product.  No one [normal] enjoys nagging.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to get rid of "monthly stats" popup?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
The captcha is to combat spambots and if you haven't been a long term member of the forums you won't see that, nor would you see the human spam that is removed manually.

For new members it is for the first three posts only.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security