Author Topic: Avast causing blue screen when k9 installed  (Read 5047 times)

Offline cdaragorn1

Avast causing blue screen when k9 installed
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
I think this is related to an update that was made to fix an issue described in this thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=159243.30.

At least it seemed to start as soon as that issue was fixed. K9 is aware that this issue exists and has made a statement about it here: http://www1.k9webprotection.com/avast-and-k9-cause-blue-screens

Every time I turn on the web shield, within a few minutes (usually when I'm using my browser for something) my computer crashes to a blue screen.

Please look into this and see if we can get it fixed! I've never had problems running Avast and K9 together before the new 2015 version came out. I really want to be able to continue using this great software.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast causing blue screen when k9 installed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
What OS/SP ?
What exact version of avast ?
Was it a clean installation or a update ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or did you)

There is no date/time on the K9 article.
They claim they can't do anything about it.
Well, the truth is they can but refuse to do anything about it.
Did they contacted avast about this?
Have they tried to work together with avast to solve it?

https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/

Make a choice on what you want to use.

Offline cdaragorn1

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
Windows 7 x64
I'll have to wait till I get home to see the exact version, but as I mentioned in my original post it has been happening ever since the fix was pushed out to the problem I linked to. As far as I know Avast has been updating itself regularly on my machine, and is currently up to date.
The only other security software I have installed is superantispyware, but shutting that down doesn't change anything.

While they could certainly contact Avast to pass on any information they have about it, I don't see the point in your bringing that up. Avast has been doing something that conflicts with K9's being on the computer since 2015 came out. While it would be polite of K9 to try to talk to them, saying they can't do anything about a program that has a bug in it that is not theirs is accurate. Blaming them for not reaching out to that program's creator isn't helping anything.

I also don't understand why you would link an article discussing use of multiple antivirus programs at once. You don't seem to understand what K9 is. It is NOT an antivirus program. It is an internet filter. While the two may try to communicate over the same layers with regards to internet traffic, that does not explain a conflict.

All I've done is ask for Avast to look into what appears to be a problem in their program. If they can determine what is causing this and it turns out it requires some changes from K9, we can at least start to get somewhere to get it solved. I love Avast and would love to continue using them. I'm happy to provide any help I can to track this problem down, but ask that you please don't shoot the messenger when you don't like the message.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »
Guess you missed the part on their website where it says "Real-time malware protection"

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »
Personal firewalls and Internet security products
K9 Web Protection is compatible with the following third-party personal firewall and Internet security products:

Personal firewalls: Comodo
Anti-virus products: Avast, Avira
Internet security suites: McAfee, F-Secure, Norton/Symantec, Computer Associates and Check Point ZoneAlarm

www1.k9webprotection.com/aboutk9/product-features

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
@cdaragorn1: can you please send me (kurtin@avast.com) some of the latest minidumps from C:\Windows\Minidump folder? Thanks!

Offline cdaragorn1

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
pk: I'll get that as soon as I get home tonight, thank you for the reply!

To everyone else on this thread: Is this honestly how this community responds to a bug report? By tossing insults and sarcasm around?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
To everyone else on this thread: Is this honestly how this community responds to a bug report? By tossing insults and sarcasm around?
Was my post a insult? ...... Confirming that avast and k9 should work together according to k9 website info    ???

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:45:16 PM by Pondus »

Offline cdaragorn1

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »
Ok, I'm sorry, I was feeling attacked after the first few posts, so I read yours out of context, I'm afraid. Thank you for clarifying what you meant.

I'm glad to know that k9 makes an effort to work with Avast. Hopefully that means that if we find there's something they need to change, they will be willing to work to do so.

To try to give a bit more polite of a response, Eddy: when K9 says they give malware protection, what they're talking about is nothing like what Avast does. They don't do any scanning of any files on the computer. They don't even scan files being downloaded. All they do is block websites that are known to contain a lot of malware. They are strictly an internet filter, so none of the concerns raised in that kaspersky article should be a problem.

The conflict is clearly happening with Avast's Web Filter. If I leave that disabled, I never crash. When I enable it, the computer usually crashes within a few minutes if I start browsing. I hope this has helped clarify why K9 is not an anti-virus program and shouldn't have any problems running together with Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
What happens if you add K9 to the exclusion list ?

Offline cdaragorn1

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 11:25:09 PM »
That's a good idea. I want to say I've tried that, but it might have been during the previous issue I linked to. I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:39 PM »
It will not solve the problem, but at least you should be able to use both together without a problem (for now).

And don't forget to send PK the dump files.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
 :'( I've turned off the web shield as recommended by k9 and I'm still getting the blue screen every so often while surfing.  k9 says to install avg instead.  I like avast's bootscan and do not want to install avg.  Anyway to bring this to avast's attention for a fix?  I would like to add k9 to the exclusion list, but don't know what to enter in the exclusion box.  I'm a total nube so I don't know how to write up the file path and win8 doesn't offer the option of copying it in win explorer.  Any help here?