Author Topic: Need to find out if my e-book purchase is a virus  (Read 2199 times)

REDACTED

Need to find out if my e-book purchase is a virus
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:55:18 AM »
I purchased an e-book from stonecottagebooks.com earlier today but when I try to download the file avast intervenes and says that the file is infected.  This is the information it gives me when I click for more details about the alert. 

Infection- PDF:UrlMal-inf[Trj]
Process-  C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\MozillaFireFox\firefox.exe
URL-  h"tt"p://s3.amazonaws.com/files.e-junkie.com/987143/AWSAccessKeyId=1PFE3R4NZVMJH6BWX9...

Can anyone tell me if this is actually a virus or is it a false positive?  If it is actually a virus, what is the safest way to contact the website to see about a refund?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Need to find out if my e-book purchase is a virus
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »
Infection- PDF:UrlMal-inf[Trj]
is it a PDF.doc  ?   

seems like the download url for the pdf.doc is blacklisted or the pdf.doc contain a blacklisted url

you may report it here  https://support.avast.com/  ->  avast virus lab   
then they may give you some info

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:35:23 AM by Pondus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:29:14 AM »
New to all this virus stuff.  What exactly does it mean when something is blacklisted?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
Hello GoatGuy,
Blacklisted means that the site has been identified as having malicious content on it which would be a security threat for you.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
Blacklisted malicious website/content is only one reason for blacklisting, other reasons could be phishing, spam (SEO and other), scam, untrusted certification, other protocol issues, defacement. So when for what reason or other a site is not to be trusted and it is better not to visit such a site it can come blacklisted. AV can block for that reason, various extensions can block for such reasons and even ad-blocker extensions can block.
When a site is blacklisted because it could infest it also is blocked, so you cannot visit it to get an eventual infection etc.
AV have their own blacklist, so there is a Bitdefender TrafficLight blacklist, there is the DrWeb URL checker malicious websites list,
and there is a blacklist for bad web reputation from WOT.
Blacklists can be looked upon as traffic road signs as where not to go on the Interwebs. When you haven't gone out to some destionation and gonna visit there for the first time checking extensions like Avast Online Security, DrWeb's etc. will give you an indication - green (secure as far as known), yellow (visit with taking care), red (do not venture out there).
When you wanna download something from the Internet I would like to check it here first: https://www.virustotal.com/en/
By the way when you want to run a program your Avast will scan it before giving it to run, better safe than sorry!

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!