Author Topic: Avast is yet another SCAM  (Read 2246 times)

REDACTED

Avast is yet another SCAM
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »
Recently I downloaded Windows 10 and after paying for and running "Grime Fighter" from Avast  it crashed Windows 10. And yes I am aware Avast has renamed "Grime Fighter".

I was not the only one who experienced this problem but when I called Avast's tech support for help, they did nothing more than to try and sell me a "Tech Support" package for a couple of hundred dollars annually. I tried, several times, to explain that it was their "premium" software I purchased that caused the problem but the representative was having none of that and just continued with his script to sell me an additional service. BTW, there is absolutely no doubt that "Grime Fighter" caused the problem.

It took me several days and a great deal of research to recover my Windows 10. And NO, simply reinstalling Windows 10 did not work! I then requested a refund for my purchase of the new version of "Grime Fighter".

The response from Avast was unbelievable. They asked me to supply them with all sorts of technical information which is next to impossible to do. And they know that! It was not like this was an unusual problem because many Avast customers had experienced the same issue. And I have no idea how successful they were in correcting it! It was not a simple process!

Anyway, here is my last response to them after they emailed me that since I had not sent them the information they requested the matter was closed as far as they were concerned.

So here is what I said to them:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   You have got to be kidding! You have asked to send you documentation that it would take a computer genius to understand, much less locate, And all this so you can keep the $20+ I paid for a program of yours that we both know crashed my Windows 10. The internet is replete with the same requests due to this well known issue but it seems you have planned well in order to keep our money by asking for information that is not only difficult to locate but will only lead to yet another hoop you want us to jump through. ALL THIS SO YOU CAN KEEP 20 BUCKS??

It is painfully obvious to me that you have no intent to refund me (or anybody else) in hopes that I and other customers will just finally accept the fact we have been screwed and for us to pursue the matter is not worth the effort for the amount of money involved. Hell of a business model if you ask me and it is exactly the kind of behavior that will ultimately lead to some kind of Federal control of the entire internet.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast is yet another SCAM
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:20:58 AM »
I was not the only one who experienced this problem but when I called Avast's tech support for help, they did nothing more than to try and sell me a "Tech Support" package for a couple of hundred dollars annually. I tried, several times, to explain that it was their "premium" software I purchased that caused the problem but the representative was having none of that and just continued with his script to sell me an additional service. BTW, there is absolutely no doubt that "Grime Fighter" caused the problem.
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Avast is yet another SCAM
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Recently I downloaded Windows 10 and after paying for and running "Grime Fighter" from Avast  it crashed Windows 10. And yes I am aware Avast has renamed "Grime Fighter".

It took me several days and a great deal of research to recover my Windows 10. And NO, simply reinstalling Windows 10 did not work! I then requested a refund for my purchase of the new version of "Grime Fighter".

The response from Avast was unbelievable. They asked me to supply them with all sorts of technical information which is next to impossible to do. And they know that! It was not like this was an unusual problem because many Avast customers had experienced the same issue. And I have no idea how successful they were in correcting it! It was not a simple process!

Anyway, here is my last response to them after they emailed me that since I had not sent them the information they requested the matter was closed as far as they were concerned.

So here is what I said to them:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   You have got to be kidding! You have asked to send you documentation that it would take a computer genius to understand, much less locate, And all this so you can keep the $20+ I paid for a program of yours that we both know crashed my Windows 10. The internet is replete with the same requests due to this well known issue but it seems you have planned well in order to keep our money by asking for information that is not only difficult to locate but will only lead to yet another hoop you want us to jump through. ALL THIS SO YOU CAN KEEP 20 BUCKS??

It is painfully obvious to me that you have no intent to refund me (or anybody else) in hopes that I and other customers will just finally accept the fact we have been screwed and for us to pursue the matter is not worth the effort for the amount of money involved. Hell of a business model if you ask me and it is exactly the kind of behavior that will ultimately lead to some kind of Federal control of the entire internet.

Hi labman99,

I am really sorry about it. I've checked your ticket and you were just asked to send a support package so we can investigate why you had problems. The steps to generate this package are as simply as to download and run this tool http://utils.support.tools.avast.com/tools/support/utils/avastsupport.exe, enter your email address and to click the button "Generate". Could you please try once more?

I've also noted that we never received your latest response. Did you reply to the notification email or post it to your ticket?