Author Topic: Computer Freezing  (Read 2277 times)

DiamndPrincz

Computer Freezing
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »
I installed this program as instructed. I have Earthlink's McAfee protection center. I tried to close it before the computer restarted after installation of Avast, but it restarts anyway. So now, when I turn on my computer, it freezes. It has been frozen for 20 minutes. There is a busy icon when I put the pointer near the tool bar and the arrow is normal on the desktop. I can't click on anything. I was finally able to pull Windows task maanger before it the computer logged in completely but it still freezes and I can't end the processes. I can't do anything on  my laptop, whch is the computer I am having this problem on. What can I do?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Computer Freezing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:39:02 AM »
It looks like you may have 2 AV programs running at the same time. Not good.

Did you try booting to safe mode and try to disable either mcafee or avast from loading at start up?

Or uninstall avast in safe mode?

When posting a question, you should try to give as much info about your system as possible. What might work with one operating system, may not work with another. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 12:40:56 PM »
Which is your operational system?
Better will be booting in Safe Mode and uninstall avast! Then try to uninstall the other antivirus or security program that is conflicting.
Booting normally and install avast as instructed.
The best things in life are free.

DiamndPrincz

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:46:43 PM »
Sorry about not including my system specs. I should know better.

I am going to try going into safe mode and uninstalling Avast. I have Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and my processor is the AMD Mobile  Athlon 3200 w/ Hyper Transport Technology.

**Thanks so much for the advice. I uninstalled Avast and it started up fine. I will probably re-install tonight but this time I will uninstall the Earthlink protection software.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:11:32 PM by DiamndPrincz »