Author Topic: Ransomware  (Read 2130 times)

REDACTED

Ransomware
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
Hello from Australia.  I have used and enjoyed AVAST for some time and I can even  remember when the interface was 'skinable'.

I don't know if its happening elsewhere but some businesses and individuals in Aust are having trouble with ransomware. This "virus" encrypts computer data and some people are being forced to hand over $1000's to have that data released by the virus owners. It gets in via infected email attachments and various other means I suspect.

I am wondering if AVAST can detect these ransomware viruses and if not; what other protections can be put in place in parallel with the AVAST system to detect these types of infections?

Your advice is welcome and appreciated.

Tony

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Ransomware
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
Hello mate! This may be some help to you. https://blog.avast.com/2013/10/24/what-to-do-if-your-computer-is-attacked-by-ransomware/

It tells you in a video and instructions of what to do if your computer is infected with ransomware.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:29:33 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
I am wondering if AVAST can detect these ransomware viruses and if not; what other protections can be put in place in parallel with the AVAST system to detect these types of infections?
Yes it can, the problem is that the bad guys release new undetected versions evry week

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Its good to know that AVAST can detect these viruses and hopefully stay ahead of the bad guys.

Regards

Tony

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
The problem is that the detection is only as good as the latest version that they have detected

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
G'day howardt67,

I strongly agree with essexboy to add CryptoPrevent to your computer, and I used it as well see sig below ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
CryptoPrevent is indespensible in the fight against Crypto-Ramsom infections.
This program focuses only on the Crypto Varients and only those.
I installed this software when the program first appeared and personally wouldn't be without it.
If you put out a few $$ the premium version will update automatically immediately and continually with new data base when needed :)