Author Topic: A Need For Avast! Phone Number For Tech Support-Anyone?  (Read 10915 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: A Need For Avast! Phone Number For Tech Support-Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 12:32:12 AM »
@ Steve197
Seeing you only have 1GB of RAM which is extremely low for programs these days (especially Anti Virus), my personal opinion would be to focus on purchasing 'more RAM' if at all possible.
Just my opinion. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

Thanks, Schmidthouse. I will have to get this thing into the shop and try that as soon as I get back on my feet. 

One thing that still baffles me is...after I run a "Smart Scan" I am STILL getting the red exclamation point telling me that I have a network problem as well as that my computer needs optimization, so I am still wondering if this has something to do with my computer running slower.  It seems like it's running slower now, even after I reinstalled Avast, ran a defrag with a different program, which essexboy sent me a link to (that I know works better than the Windows/Microsoft defrag program), and such.

According to Time Warner, my problem lies with the fact that I have a different anti virus program installed, rather than have what they want me to use, which is the McAfee stuff they sent me the link to download for free.  I don't want McAfee though, I want to keep what I have, and as soon as I get back on my feet I plan to go with their top of the line Avast package so I can reap the full benefits of their software.      Thanks so much for your help.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
Go to control panel > add/remove
Click Avast and select Change

Deselect the following from the middle column as you will not need them :

SecureLine
Cleanup

Select continue and allow it to do its thing, reboot once done

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
 Thanks for this, essexboy.  I just want to make certain, before follow the directions and perform this task. 

Are you telling me to uncheck *all* of those things in the middle list? Click continue, it will then perform something, then when it's finished, reboot?   

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
No just remove the tick from

SecureLine
Cleanup

then continue

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
 Okay, thanks. I followed your directions.  :)  What was it that this did? 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:50:56 PM by Steve197 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
Okay, thanks. I followed your directions.  :)  What was it that this did? 

It effectively uninstalls the functions, they should no longer be present. I would reboot to ensure this happens.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »

Okay, thanks DavidR.  Actually, I did the reboot after it was finished removing the items.  Should I notice anything different regarding how the PC is running? 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
  Okay, thanks DavidR.  Actually, I did the reboot after it was finished removing the items.  Should I notice anything different regarding how the PC is running? 

Not really as these functions are only active when you use/run them in various Activities/Scans.

SecureLine is a paid feature and if you tried to run that it would take you to an upgrade avast store page.
CleanUp has a limited function in the avast free version, but is only active if you run it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
 Okay, that's very helpful to know.  Thanks very much for all of your help, David.  I deeply appreciate it.  Have a great weekend!  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »
You're welcome, have a good weekend yourself.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
Thanks so much, DavidR!