Author Topic: a question about some default settings  (Read 3078 times)

Zagor

a question about some default settings
« on: November 22, 2005, 04:53:06 AM »
Hi everyone,
I use Home Edition of Avast! and I have a question about some default settings.

In the help file says that Standard Shield is set default to scan self-extracting executables only and the option for setting additional archives to be processed is found only in the professional edition of Avast!

Now, does this mean that in free edition you can’t set to scan any other archives than self-extracting executables, or that you can set all but just don’t have a choice in picking the particular one’s? Please, direction? :-\

Cheers!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: a question about some default settings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 10:19:44 AM »
You can't set it for On-access protection in the Home version.
Anyway, it is not a good idea (to scan the content of archives on-access); it may have significant impact on your system and it doesn't really bring any additional security - the files in ordinary archives have to be unpacked before they can be activated.

Zagor

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:11:59 PM »
As a matter of fact you can, but setting it manually.
Standard Shield\Customize\Scanner (Advanced)\Scan files in open\Choose extension.
It's a little effort to find and type the name of all relative archives, but it's possible. The reason for activating on-access archive scan is that recently I had some viruses cleaned from my system. So just a precaution for few weeks isn't such a bad idea, I think. Anyway, thanks! :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:14:10 PM by Zagor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »
Actually, no.
Putting the additional extensions into this box enables scanning of the particular file type - but only as "plain files" - the files won't be treated (=unpacked) as archives and their content won't be scanned in the unpacked form; only the packed file will be scanned, which is probably useless.

Zagor

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
Thank you, it's good advice!