Author Topic: What FW to use now?  (Read 22195 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
What FW to use now?
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:44:14 PM »
Hi forum folks,

A lot of decent free firewalls have disappeared, have been bought up(out) to be part of a total solution coming in, or are being discontinued. What alternatives are there for people that want something else than the MS total solution in the future.
Where are the last Mohicans? I still use ZA and in the past found an alternative in Sygate. What are the new stars looming on the horizon?
I have read the discussion going on here. What would your advice be?

Do you think the overbloated so-called total solutions of AV-FW-AS-SM is a good development (expensive ones like NAV present) or are there still alternatives, but then the possibilities get more and more scarce.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Raye

Re: What FW to use now?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:04:31 PM »
Hi forum folks,

A lot of decent free firewalls have disappeared, have been bought up(out) to be part of a total solution coming in, or are being discontinued. What alternatives are there for people that want something else than the MS total solution in the future.
Where are the last Mohicans? I still use ZA and in the past found an alternative in Sygate. What are the new stars looming on the horizon?

Do you think the overbloated so-called total solutions of AV-FW-AS-SM is a good development (expensive ones like NAV present) or are there still alternatives, but then the possibilities get more and more scarce.

greets,

polonus
Hi ! what do you think about R-Firewall ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 01:47:34 PM by Raye »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 02:00:52 PM »
Why not giving it a go and telling us how it works (since you ask). I'm sure it can help a lot others. I see you asked same question in here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17744.msg151305#msg151305 and it looks like you already use this firewall. Do some online tests like ShieldsUP!! is...

LINK: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and inform us about the results. Perform all those tests, and it would be great if you can perform some other tests as well... for example, tooleaky test which can be found in here: http://tooleaky.zensoft.com
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:05:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

lee16

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:29:53 PM »
Im sticking with Sygate for a while, although as it gets outdated i may be forced to switch back to Zonealarm, which i don't really want to do as i remember how bad the old version was with networks, although they may of fixed that by now.

tooleaky test which can be found in here: http://tooleaky.zensoft.com

Always nice to know how usless your firewall can be  :-\, i always thought that stopping your browser from acting as a server would prevent this, shame it doesn't.....

--lee

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:36:01 PM »
Well that's another reason to use better firewall than Sygate is... Kerio stops tooleaky without any problems. Same thing is with ZA Pro, and exactly the same thing with Comodo Personal Firewall... there are plenty of very good firewalls out there, just need to pick one.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

lee16

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »
Yes but are Zonealarm etc stopping the exploit which is using a hidden IE window to send and receive data to a particular server, or is it just blocking tooleaky/leaktest programs themself to make it look like there doing thier job.

--lee

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 05:07:46 PM »
As I already said, it's completely blocking tooleaky. Not ZA freeware, but ZA Pro. ZA free fails this test.

lee16

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »
I see, ill keep away from ZA free then, ill into Comodo Personal Firewall, as kerio is ending at the end of Dec.

--lee

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »
This is good thread about Comodo Personal Firewall:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.0

I also posted some screenshots and performed some tests :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.45

MFB

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 11:24:57 PM »
Hi forum folks,

greets,

polonus
Hi ! what do think about R-Firewall ?

That firewall did not protect me, after installing that firewall, I left everything in default and test it using Shields Up.  At least around three ports were open and most are closed (barely any stealth ports).

After trying to unistall R-Firewall, its still protecting your PC, it's still there.  It took me a while to remove most of R-Firewall, however I still believe that they're some bits of that Firewall left in my Registry.   :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 01:15:12 AM »
It took me a while to remove most of R-Firewall, however I still believe that they're some bits of that Firewall left in my Registry.   :-\
It seems the worst firewall ever when the problem is uninstalling... terrible!
The best things in life are free.

neal62

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 01:31:08 AM »
I have been using Comodo Firewall version 1.1.0.01 for at least 1 month now and haven't had any problems with this free firewall. As mentioned it passed the tool leakey test. I like it but I know there are different tastes among folks. Just my 2 cents.  :)

timcan

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 01:46:05 AM »
I have been using Comodo Firewall version 1.1.0.01 for at least 1 month now and haven't had any problems with this free firewall. As mentioned it passed the tool leakey test. I like it but I know there are different tastes among folks. Just my 2 cents.  :)
   Hi neal63, I don't have that version. Did comodo fix it so the 1 user license works on non admin account also?I received an email so time ago that this would be fixed in next update.

neal62

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 02:10:03 AM »
Hi timcan,

I really don't know the answer about whether it works in the Non-Administrative mode. I logged out and signed in under my non-administrative account and it showed that Comodo was running as it shows in the Administrative mode. So really don't definitely know as I run in Administrative mode most of the time. You might contact customer support I believe at= personalfirewall@comodo.com and ask and see if they respond to you with the answer. As I have mentioned I haven't had any problems with it using my "1 user account free license". As far as I know this is the only version of Comodo that I have been using.  :)

galooma

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 02:43:08 AM »
I can confirm that Comodo would only work with the admin account .
On the system i had it installed on there were 5 users and it would work for the 2 admin accounts but the 3 limited accounts called for the key to be installed on an individual basis for them as well.

The other beef i had was that if one didnt sign off (change user instead of logged off) then comodo stayed on for that user and wouldnt activate for the current user unless you logged the previous user off first.

For this reason I have gone back to my favorite kerio,and am elated that it will still be around beyond  year end.