Author Topic: What FW to use now?  (Read 22414 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What FW to use now?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 12:22:28 AM »
From your previously edited post:
Well with shit behind the weel anything can happend !
1. Swearing on the forums is frowned upon since children also use these forums.
2. If you are trying to say there is a bad driver at the wheel, then making personal attacks, just because their opinion doesn't match yours. Especially when you know nothing of the driving ability or otherwise (considering you have only been on the forums a little over two days), is ill informed not to mention against the forums policy, which I suggest you read it.
Just click the policy button at the top of every page.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:27:50 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 12:26:27 AM »
Who, what, where ? Someone needs kicking in the head ? Bruce Lee maybe ? What, where, how, why ?  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

No really, joke aside... who tried to make rules backed up with swearing in forum ?

EDIT: I just saw your previous edited reply David and I found this inside...

Well with shit behind the weel anything can happend !

Telling one forum regular (and above all one of most respected members in this forum) who knows more about those things than all his friends (Raye) and himself together is nothing but speaking stupidities. This is not the way to communicate with people, that's for sure...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:40:33 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 12:32:17 AM »
The R-Firewall website claims:

Converts the protected computer into a "stealth" machine running invisibly to outside intruders;

If fact, 'out of the box' it does no such thing.

I wasn't able to try any different configurations as the control panel for the program refused to open. That would seem to be a pretty serious bug to me.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »
Of course it is a huge bug... what are we supposed to do with that program if you can't open configuration page and re-configure it the way you want ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Raye

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 12:54:10 AM »
My humble appologie,but i changed it on second thought !.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 01:13:18 AM »
Hi Raye,

I am the starter of the thread. You should always have second thoughts on programs as well. I do that all the time, until I trust some fully, and then again...Never take the world and software for granted. Try to make a bat file to see what you really log with your firewall running, like this netstat.bat file:
---------
@echo off
netstat -s > %temp%\netstat.txt
netstat -r >> %temp%\netstat.txt
e %temp%\netstat.txt
-----------

Why don't you learn to configure and tweak the firewall with a
real open software firewall for windows. There are not that many, you can find it here:
http://programmerworld.net/personal/firewall.htm
Later we hear from you about what you found.
Firewalls are a world "an sich". You can have an admin that installs a 12 kb Dos-firewall to block three or more ports on your machine, and you won't even notice it is there.

polonus

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:35:21 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Raye

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 02:13:05 AM »
Ok ! thx i will try that !
But i hate that Sygate sold their ***grrr