Author Topic: Error: dbsCreateObject, what to do?  (Read 2501 times)

Celofan

Error: dbsCreateObject, what to do?
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:35:15 AM »
Hi I tried installing Avast antivirus home edition but when I'm trying to start it it sais in three consecutive error messages:

Storage can not be created for the "Splash" task.
Configuration is not loaded properly. Error: dbsCreateObject
Program can not save parameters to the storage. Error: dbsCreateObject

so I googled for it and it said to download a program called "avast External Control" and use the "Change Database Storage Method (XML/ODBC)". So I downloaded the "avast External Control" program (v. 1.6.297), but there is no such feature?

does anyone have a sollution to this?
Thanks in advance)
/Edit. Win 2k user in case it matters

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error: dbsCreateObject, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:48:55 AM »
Well done on the google search, but you could have used the forum search for dbsCreateObject, the feature is no longer in the Avast External Control because it is now incorporated in the avast GUI. However, AEC is still a very useful utility.

dbscreateobject error
First check out this avast! FAQ answer http://www.avast.com/eng/other_questions.html#idt_1406. For avast! Pro users it is best to update the ODBC Drivers, Home users can switch to XML storage.
Right click the avast! icon and select Program Settings, then Troubleshooting and tick the Use XML storage instead of ODBC.

You can also manually edit the avast4.ini file (using a text editor, if because of the error you can't get into the interface) and change database=odbc to database=xml, this is in the [Common] section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Celofan

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:55:09 AM »
omg thank you for the speedy reply!

yes I really should have used the search in the forum (or on google again), but I just scanned the topics manually and was too eager. Thank you again though, now it's working. (I even sent a mail. Now I'm feeling like an ass for that cause it wasnt necessary*heh*)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:59:12 AM »
omg thank you for the speedy reply!
Be used to  8)
David is the fastest!

Now I'm feeling like an ass for that cause it wasnt necessary
Never mind too much... If you can, come back and help the others  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »
The only thing that would make you an ass is not to have asked at all and struggled on or given up.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security