Author Topic: Japanese OS / English / and chest  (Read 4447 times)

nihonjintaylor

Japanese OS / English / and chest
« on: November 17, 2005, 05:52:50 AM »
Hello I've been using your product for the past few months but I haven't been able to access the virus chest. My OS is windows xp service pack 2, Japanese. So I installed the Japanese version of avast (have been using the english language version...) and I could finally access the virus chest. The errors that I got when trying to use the virus chest were...

3528 Error in aswCestC: chestopenlist xmlException 27 -c
3528 aswChestInterface- program error description: CChestListView::LoadFiles () chestOpenList() failed: 1006
3528 aswChestInterface- program error description: CChestListView::OnCreate() !M_strErrorWnd.IsEmpty()

Also the name on my windows account is in Japanese so that might be a factor in it too.

Just letting you know :). Now that I have it in Japanese it works fine, so there is no problem there. Just would prefer to use in English if possible.... which is not if I want to be able to access the chest.

Feel free to work on it when you have time, or what not. I'm in no hurry :).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Japanese OS / English / and chest
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 11:58:25 AM »
These errors are from avast! log - was there any error showed directly (in a dialog) when trying to open the Chest?

Anyway, I think the problem must be somewhere else. The language of the program is mostly just the texts and dialog templates - it doesn't affect the other functionality much. So, I find it rather strange that chaning the language version would solve anything; it's more likely that the reinstall did.
You can install more language modules simultaneously, and switch between them. Go to Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast! Antivirus / Change/Remove / Change and select the additional modules (i.e. English) you want to have installed. The avast! Control Panel applet will download and install the additional modules - you will be able to switch them on the Language page of program settings (i.e. you can try to switch to English to see if the problem with Chest is still present).

Iso-G

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:23:57 PM »
Hello, nihonjintaylor

I'm a Japanese user, too.

At first, my account name doesn't include any double byte characters, i.e only alphabets.
And my account has administrator's right.
The OS is Windows XP Home SP2, and avast! built is Nov2005(4.6.731), Home Edition.
avast! was switched to English from Japanese, then I tried to open the avast's Chest.
It was opened via English Simple User Interface (SUI).

But I found something, probably.
Windowns is so tricky.

I created a new account for Windows.
This new account name has only alphabets. (It's "mt-river")
Turned off and turned a computer on, then logged in.
The chest was opened via English SUI.

I renamed this account with kanji, like "山川".
The chest was opened via English SUI. No problem.

Then, this account was renamed to another, "十石"
The kanji, "十", is not only a double byte character but also including a special code in Shift JIS code set used on OSs of Microsoft.
The chest was opened via English SUI. No problem.

The next step.

I created another new account for Windows.
This new account name includes kanji, but no alphabet. (e.g. "山川")
The chest was NOT opened via English SUI.
However, the chest was opened via Japanese SUI.

This account was renamed to ENGLISH one. (e.g. "mt-river")
The chest was NOT opened via English SUI, but Japanese SUI is OK.

When tried to open the chest via English SUI, an error dialog was appeared with this message.
----------------
Detail Information
Initialization of Chest files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed with errors!

----------------
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:26:53 PM by Iso-G »

nihonjintaylor

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »

And my account has administrator's right.
The OS is Windows XP Home SP2, and avast! built is Nov2005(4.6.731), Home Edition.

(e.g. "山川")
The chest was NOT opened via English SUI.
However, the chest was opened via Japanese SUI.

This account was renamed to ENGLISH one. (e.g. "mt-river")
The chest was NOT opened via English SUI, but Japanese SUI is OK.

When tried to open the chest via English SUI, an error dialog was appeared with this message.
----------------
Detail Information
Initialization of Chest files
Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
Action was completed with errors!

----------------

わざわざこんなに細かくまでやってくれてすいませんでしたm(__)m

All this information is pretty much the same for me. My account is in Japanese (using 5 kanji)
and the error that you posted at the bottom is the same one I get with mine.... so yeah- there must be something wrong with the names in Japanese.

This isn't the first time something weird has happened based on my user name being Japanese. Other instances are with firefox and opening web pages saved on my Hard disk. And google earth program it refuses to load some pictures and load saved locations.

Weird.

ところで、Iso-Gさんの英語はすごく上手ですね!!!どうやってあんなに上手になりましたか?
僕の仕事は英会話先生ですので、英語がうまいと話すとその人の勉強し方が気になる。

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
Is the problem reproducible if you have both languages installed and switch between them using Settings / Language? I mean, does it work like:
1. in Japanese - Chest is OK
2. switch to English, restart, login as the mentioned user --> Chest doesn't work
3. switch to Japanese, restart, login as the mentioned user --> Chest works
4. switch to English, restart, login --> Chest doesn't work
?

Iso-G

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
Is the problem reproducible if you have both languages installed and switch between them using Settings / Language? I mean, does it work like:
2. switch to English, restart, login as the mentioned user --> Chest doesn't work
?

Yes, it is. This problem is reproducible on my computer.
The step 2 & 3 you mentioned above were alternately repeated 5 times, but the result is the exactly same for each time, respectively.

Created a new windows' account with Kanji (double byte characters)
 ---> Chest doesn't work in English, but work in Japanese
Created a new windows' account in English, then renamed to Japanese
 ---> Chest work in English and Japanese

nihonjintaylor

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 05:20:23 PM »
?

so in other words, if the name of the account is in two byte characters avast will have problems with it in English. It'll work only if avast is switched over into japanese mode.
weird huh :s

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 05:13:53 PM »
This turned about to be a real problem - which may have more important implications than "just" the inability to open the Chest (such as non-scanning of some archives in On-demand scanners).
We'll see what we can do about it... but it won't be exactly easy.
Thanks for the report.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »
May have more important implications than "just" the inability to open the Chest (such as non-scanning of some archives in On-demand scanners).
Igor, is this anything related to update problems or email scanning? (I think not but who knows...)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 05:42:09 PM »
No. This problem is related to Japanese characters in the username (or rather, in the path of the user's home directory).

While it may possibly affect other languages as well (when the language of the OS doesn't match the language setting of avast! - I'm not completely sure yet), it is certainly not a new problem; it was there since the very first release of avast 4.