Author Topic: AVAST causing web page block with Firefox browser  (Read 8242 times)

REDACTED

AVAST causing web page block with Firefox browser
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and I reset firefox today as I was having problems accessing another site for some reason, this reset fixed the other site but now I am getting this message when trying to load another website which had no issues previously.

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to iptorrents.com. Peer's certificate has an invalid signature. (Error code: sec_error_bad_signature)
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

The site loads fine from IE and Chrome browsers so I googled and a brief search brought up something to do with the latest Firefox 33 no longer supports keys less than 1024 bits?
I have tried a number of fixes to the security values in firefox but none of them have worked so far.

On further investigation it appears that AVAST was causing the issue somehow (I am not that technically savvy).  I followed the instructions below and now the problem is solved but I am concerned that I have reduced my security by doing this. 

[ol]
  • Open the Avast dashboard on the affected system.
  • Select Settings from the left sidebar menu.
  • Switch to Active Protection.
  • Click on Customize next to Web Shield.
  • Uncheck the "Enable HTTPS Scanning" option and click ok.
[/ol]
So is this a fault with firefox or AVAST and should I be overly concerned with the "fix"?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: AVAST causing web page block with Firefox browser
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes this is a direction/fix some are suggesting that seems to solve the specific issue..
As far as reducing your securitiy, you should be fine.
I'm hoping that the permanent  fix to the issue comes soon.

I'm sure others will chime in and provide more information too consider. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Even if  I try to run web shield in any format it slows to a crawl and sends an alert message up blocking almost any page I look at - including this forum! So I'm running web shield turned off and I can't get file shield to work at all despite 2 installs. I wish I had never upgraded to the new version.

If I run in silent/gaming mode I can speedtest at 50+mbps but if I go back to normal mode it runs around 20. Turn on webshield and forget it - it's quicker to send a letter.

I'm guessing that gaming mode is a no no for regular web surfing?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
The site loads fine from IE and Chrome browsers so I googled and a brief search brought up something to do with the latest Firefox 33 no longer supports keys less than 1024 bits?

FWIW, the current version of Firefox is 40.0.3.  If you are using Firefox 33, then you are missing several security fixes.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »

FWIW, the current version of Firefox is 40.0.3.  If you are using Firefox 33, then you are missing several security fixes.

I am currently using 40.0.03, I should have qualified that in the previous post as the text above was partially taken from an online post, I just assumed that the latest version also had the same format, ie: 1024 bits.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:35:14 PM by Ryoden »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
Starting with Firefox 32, Mozilla phased out support for 1024 bit RSA certificate use.

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2014/09/08/phasing-out-certificates-with-1024-bit-rsa-keys/
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Even if  I try to run web shield in any format it slows to a crawl and sends an alert message up blocking almost any page I look at - including this forum! So I'm running web shield turned off and I can't get file shield to work at all despite 2 installs. I wish I had never upgraded to the new version.

If I run in silent/gaming mode I can speedtest at 50+mbps but if I go back to normal mode it runs around 20. Turn on webshield and forget it - it's quicker to send a letter.

I'm guessing that gaming mode is a no no for regular web surfing?

Thanks this seems to be the case.