Author Topic: Will not accept my password  (Read 3526 times)

REDACTED

Will not accept my password
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »
I have purchased avast to run on my windows computer. When going to setting it is asking for a password. When I enter my password it says its the wrong password. Reset the password and still does not work. Reset again same thing. I need to get to settings to allow google chrome for my school work. How can I get it to accept a password?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Will not accept my password
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:13 PM »
Did you actually set a password 'in the program' to protect the avast program settings ?

If you didn't, you have a corrupt installation resulting it believing a password has been set and is required.

I don't have a password set in my version of avast free, so I don't know if this Reset password that you are talking about is actually in the program. Even if it were, any reset password function that I have come across, requires that you first input the old password to prevent someone else changing your password.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:02:14 AM »
The reset password is like I forgot my password and requires an email verification. I verified my email via email sent to me via avast and then used the link in the email to reset the password.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:03:32 AM »
Also this is not the free version I paid for this

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »
The reset password is like I forgot my password and requires an email verification. I verified my email via email sent to me via avast and then used the link in the email to reset the password.

I still don't know if you set a password to protect your avast program settings ?

I still don't know where you are taking this action on resetting the password ?
As I said I haven't seen that before in the avast UI - I have only ever seen this in the my.avast.com account settings and this are completely different. But changing an email address or password in the my.avast.com would normally result in a verification email.

That's fine (I have the free version), but as far as password protection of program settings this should be the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Quote from: Casey12 on Yesterday at 09:03:32 PM

That's fine (I have the free version), but as far as password protection of program settings this should be the same.

That is correct, exactly the same. I have a simple password set; same for all my installs.  I feel that's sufficient, as I have physical control over all of them.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner