Author Topic: Scanning e-mails  (Read 3397 times)

andy62

Scanning e-mails
« on: November 24, 2005, 10:20:59 PM »
Can anyone run me through the method of scanning e-mail attachments for viruses please?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanning e-mails
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:28:04 PM »
What is your OS?
What is your email program?
What is it exactly you are trying to do?

You don't have to, once set-up the avast Internet Mail or Outlook/Exchange provider/plug-in (depending on your email program) will scan inbound email including the attachments if they have any automatically.

If you are talking about scanning existing emails that might have infected attachments then a standard scan of the folder where your email client stores its files. This can be a problem depending on your email program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

andy62

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 12:57:54 AM »
Greetings David, it's XP and I'm on Outlook Express. I seem to recall a way to manually scan attachments before you open them. Is this possible?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 01:08:12 AM »
Greetings David, it's XP and I'm on Outlook Express. I seem to recall a way to manually scan attachments before you open them. Is this possible?
You can save the file to disk, right click it and scan with the Explorer Extension (ashQuick.exe).
But, of course, we must try to find a way to correct the email scanning as avast can scan emails for sure...
Don't you have Internet Mail provider scanning your emails?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 01:52:50 AM »
The act of saving the attachment to a folder on the HDD (I suggest one called attachments, so you know where they are) should have them scanned by standard shield anyway. However, ashQuick.exe may scan to a different specification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 02:00:59 AM »
Andy62,

I wonder why you would be going to this trouble when, if the avast Internet Mail scanner is active on your system your regular POP3 email accounts will have already been automatically scanned by avast before they reach your OE Inbox. 

Do you have accounts that cannot be scanned by the Internet Mail scanner?

If you are planning to do manual scans then, as mentioned by DavidR, ashquick.exe will provide a more thorough scan of your email attachments including the contents of archive type files (like .zip).