Author Topic: Use secure virtual machines option.  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Rowan Boatman

Use secure virtual machines option.
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »
Was wondering if someone could help me out, I recently reinstalled my laptop (Windows 8.1) and that included putting Avast free back on.
Everything seems to be running fine but I noticed when I look under Settings/General there is no option for "Use secure virtual machines" under "Enable DeepScreen".
Is this a problem or should it just not be there for some reason, I'm not sure if it used to be there before I reinstalled and was wondering if it is something to do with Windows 8.1 or some other reason?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Use secure virtual machines option.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm using win 8.1 and it shows use secure virtual machines.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:45:33 PM by -midnight »

Offline Rowan Boatman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
Thanks for that, removes the 8.1 reason.

To anyone in the know, is there any way or reason at all for that not to be there for me/is there a way to show it somehow that I am missing?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
Did you happen to do a custom install and check the 'Secure Virtual Machines' option or was it available ?

Can you give the specs of your system, e.g. CPU, RAM and HDD size ?

NG won't install if your system won't support it or is under resourced.

Previously, I didn't install it on my win7 netbook as I thought that was too under powered, yet at that time the resource requirement was quite low. Having not installed the 'Secure Virtual Machines' option, the DeepScreen has no sub options in the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline 1234ava

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
Same here: no option for "Use secure virtual machines" under "Enable DeepScreen", nor was it available in custom installation.

The check box "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" is ticked as usual in Settings-Troubleshooting.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, ASUS notebook, Intel Virtualization Technology and VT-d enabled in bios.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Same here: no option for "Use secure virtual machines" under "Enable DeepScreen", nor was it available in custom installation.

The check box "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" is ticked as usual in Settings-Troubleshooting.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, ASUS notebook, Intel Virtualization Technology and VT-d enabled in bios.

As far as I'm aware, haven't there been some posts about NG 'Secure Virtual Machines' not working or unavailable at installation with win10 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rowan Boatman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 01:01:12 AM »
Did you happen to do a custom install and check the 'Secure Virtual Machines' option or was it available ?

Can you give the specs of your system, e.g. CPU, RAM and HDD size ?

NG won't install if your system won't support it or is under resourced.

Previously, I didn't install it on my win7 netbook as I thought that was too under powered, yet at that time the resource requirement was quite low. Having not installed the 'Secure Virtual Machines' option, the DeepScreen has no sub options in the avastUI.
Thanks for the reply.

I just did the recommended install, not a custom.

Windows 8.1 64bit
Intel i5-4200U (Quad Core) @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
8GB Ram
1TB HDD

"Enable hardware-assisted virtualization" is ticked in Settings-Troubleshooting for me too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »
Whilst I don't use win8.1, it should be capable of hardware virtualisation, which I believe is more important than that of the avast troubleshooting option.

My only though would be on the CPU is that would support it and if so whether or not the Intel i5-4200U (Quad Core) 1.6GHz would be considered by the avast check for installation of the avast 'Secure Virtual Machines' module, as sufficient.

This is based not on personal experience, but from others in the forums that have the 'Secure Virtual Machines' on win8.1. So I will have to hope someone with personal experience or an avast team member can respond.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:52 AM »
According to this http://ark.intel.com/products/75459/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz
virtual technology is supported. The problem is that the last few avast releases have not included NG (secure virtual machines).
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Rowan Boatman

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »
Ok thanks for that.

So where does this leave me, do I just not worry about it and in time maybe it will be added again in a future release?
Is there a reason why it has not been included anyway?