Author Topic: Avast + Windows 10 = Turning monitor on after scan???  (Read 2313 times)

REDACTED

Avast + Windows 10 = Turning monitor on after scan???
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »
Hi,

I have looked at probably most everything that may do this and turn it on (wake timers) in Windows 10. I wake up in the morning and my monitor is back turned on. I physically turn it off when I am done using my desktop. It's a custom built box (i5 4690 16GB, 960 GTX 2Gb, gigabyte mobo Z97 model). I believe it is being turned on from some form of wake timer and avast's nightly system scan which puts a window up on screen to display results of scan.

Only other program that runs nightly is Malwarebytes and I am going to check their forum. I doubt it is that program since it doesn't pop up a window after scan complete (no issues found - and none found with Avast as well). So I am leaning on it being an Avast issue that i haven't tracked down yet.

Any ideas? I've tried all the options I've found online for this as far as I can tell and turned off NIC adapter and keyboard/mouse events and a few others and checked power settings/tweaked things to be off in there as well.

Mike

REDACTED

Re: Avast + Windows 10 = Turning monitor on after scan???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
OK I noticed malwarebytes runs around 3am and Avast had already finished running. I woke up other morning and monitor was off, turned it on and saw the above completed, turned it off, went back to bed and woke later and it was on (monitor). I removed the 2 keys after exporting them and making system restore point (mcupdate and mcupdate_scheduled). The output showing mcupdate_scheduled no longer showing in powercfg -waketimers. My only suspect now is malwarebytes which I'll either disable my nightly scan for a couple of days or change the time to be around 7-8am and see if monitor stays off all night.

Mike

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
I hate this damn verification crap to post....anyways, I found via help from malwarebytes that it could be avast's emergency update task (one of two tasks he is suspect about). I disabled it in task scheduler and rebooted, still disabled. Now to see what happens tomorrow when I wake up. If monitor is off, I will be filing a bug with Avast as NOTHING should be turning a monitor on if it is powered off physically IMHO other than my finger. I've been through all the power and device power options and disabled all pertinent and from what I gleaned via searching on this issue.

Mike

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
You will be glad to know that this anti-spam measure is only for the first 3 posts, which you now have.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security