Author Topic: "Update Failed" Messages on Win XP  (Read 40618 times)

REDACTED

Re: "Update Failed" Messages on Win XP
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
I've made the changes in SOA but haven't added the VPSUPD.exe to the login script.

Will try it manually with one PC and see if it works first.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
I've made the changes in SOA but haven't added the VPSUPD.exe to the login script.

Will try it manually with one PC and see if it works first.

Good luck with it.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
  • If you have a number of YYMMDD##_stream folders extant in %ProgramFiles%\AVAST Software\Avast Business\defs, the VPSUPD.EXE may fail; I'd recommend you try to find a test machine that is clear of these folders; and
  • If SOA doesn't show a version upgrade following a successful VPSUPD.EXE run, you may be able to "force" a SOA update by restarting the "client" service that Avast uses for communication (with EAC, it's "avast! Enterprise Client Service").

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Unfortunately the PC's I looked at had the _stream folders and even after deleting them it still came up with the "VPD database is already up to date" message  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:19 AM »
Unfortunately the PC's I looked at had the _stream folders and even after deleting them it still came up with the "VPD database is already up to date" message  :(

Yeah; I had that on a number of systems as well.

According to the history on my Avast! support ticket, there is no way (short of uninstall/reinstall) to clear those _stream folders out.

My experimentation with trying to clear the _stream folders out manually wound up breaking the Avast! install on a test system (had to uninstall/reinstall); after that, I didn't risk it further, and just began the practice of moving the machine(s) to the "no updates" group, uninstalling and reinstalling.

Hope you're not dealing with too many machines (I had about 10 out of 50 that needed a full uninstall/reinstall).

--
Troy

Offline KDibble

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
This was supposedly to be fixed by the end of September. Today is October 1. What is the status on this bug, please.

Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
This was supposedly to be fixed by the end of September. Today is October 1. What is the status on this bug, please.

From a recent ticket update, it appears they've still got the updated program in beta:

Quote from: AvastTicket
It's possible there will be a delay of about a week. The developers are still making some small changes prior to releasing the beta but I will know more Friday morning in which case I will let you know but its probably looking more like next week unfortunately but I will confirm once I hear back from QA.

I could be misinterpreting the statement.

So, program update Real Soon Now.  ???

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »
So, program update Real Soon Now.  ???

Let's hope so ::)

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Let's hope so ::)

What, not satisfied with the update schedule for the 20-month-old software that you bought and paid for, while the folks who are installing it on their home systems (or violating the license by installing it on their work systems) get the latest-and-greatest for free?  Quelle horreur! :o 

(Yeah, I know...smart-a**ery. Last refuge and all that. :P )

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
I've managed to update a couple of PC's by manually running VPSUPD.exe. I think the trick is to turn off all the auto updating and then wait until a new update is released and then run VPSUPD.exe. This gets around the "you are already up to date" error as the last update it tried to install automatically is older than the one contained in VPSUPD.exe.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
After trying any kind of solution available regarding this particular error 0x8 (in windows xp), nothing was able to solve this error. Namely,

IRPStackSize registry entry modification (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/106167) (Still same Error)

PoolUsageMaximum and PagedPoolSize registry entries modification (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/304101) (Still same Error)

I also added Ram to several clients (Still Same error).

Moreover in several cases the VPSUPD.exe cannot be executed successfully generating a “You are already up to date” popup box (yet, you have very old defs)

In either case, the problem reappears every 1-2 days, making it very difficult to manage the updated VPSUPD.exe distribution and installation on the clients.

From my point of view, the error occurs while incremental update of vps_32-XXXX.vpx definitions file is executed; using the small frequent updates vps_32-XXXX-XXXX.vpx.
For some reason the “old definitions file” (vps_32-XXXX.vpx), which is already huge ~250MB, cannot be updated/appending the latest definitions.

After many attempts, I use the following solutions is the following,
  • 1)   Before proceeding, using the AEA console, I disable the Self-Defense module of my XP Computers Group (Located in the Troubleshooting Tab)

2)   I create a script that deletes the old VPS_32-XXXX.vpx file located in the  %programfiles%\AVAST Software\Avast Business\Setup\
    This script can be executed either on your clients using a logon script or a Registry entry, or on the server using the administrative shares of the clients \\Client\c$\%programfiles%\AVAST Software\Avast Business\Setup\

3)   After deleting, every client will be forced to download the fresh-full VPS_32-XXXX.vpx file through mirror and update AVAST with the latest definitions.
    4)   Last, I check that every client has the latest definition and re-enable the defense module of my Computer Group.
I know that the above mentioned procedure is a waste of bandwidth and might not worth for a small Lan, but in case of several remote sites or large Lan, it is very simple and quick for daily usage.

Hope to have an AVAST program update very soon.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »
It seems to be getting worse, I have more machines affected by it this week than I did last  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
It seems to be getting worse, I have more machines affected by it this week than I did last  :(

The only workaround I've found so far that consistently works for our deployment is to place ALL XP machines into a separate EAC/SOA computer group with automatic updating disabled per previous posts, and go through the process of manually updating these machines (or scripting an update at startup, use the command line "{path\to\}VPSUPD.EXE /silent" if you don't want users to receive feedback on the process).

I've scripted an update process that is slightly more complex (as I have several remote sites where XP machines are failing auto-update, and the VPSUPD.EXE executable is really too large to be running on multiple systems across a multi-site WAN); the scripts I wrote for our deployment download the current VPSUPD.EXE from Avast to machine-local storage and install it on a 4-hour cycle (leveraging machine-local Scheduled Tasks). 

I can't do it today, but possibly tomorrow (as we may not receive an update until next week, according to latest ticket notes) I'll be able to clean them up and post them here for general use.

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
I've managed to get them to update by using WGET to download the latest VPSUPD.exe and then running that from the login script.

Doesn't look good to the customers though, a couple of which have just renewed for 2 years :o

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
The problem still exists: using Avast endpoint 8.0.1603 and the error message is "Last encountered error: Not enough storage is avaliable to process this command" when trying to update the avast virus defs.

wait for the official solution.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we are aware of the issue with XP devices getting this error. At this time you can update manually by downloading the updates from here:
https://www.avast.com/en-us/download-update

I have seen reports that this works for some and others it works for a few days then the error returns. We are working on a new release for the endpoint product line and should be ready this week or next from the last work I had.

Will try to keep you posted as more updates become available.

Thanks!

Jeff

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
I've scripted an update process that is slightly more complex (as I have several remote sites where XP machines are failing auto-update, and the VPSUPD.EXE executable is really too large to be running on multiple systems across a multi-site WAN); the scripts I wrote for our deployment download the current VPSUPD.EXE from Avast to machine-local storage and install it on a 4-hour cycle (leveraging machine-local Scheduled Tasks). 

I can't do it today, but possibly tomorrow (as we may not receive an update until next week, according to latest ticket notes) I'll be able to clean them up and post them here for general use.

Well, a day late, but here it is.

Two files:
  • VPSUPD.CMD.TXT
    --- RENAME TO VPSUPD.CMD ---

Primary script file for downloading and executing VPSUPD.EXE on an XP-based system with EPS/EPS+ installed

May be run as a Computer Startup Script (from Active Directory) or manually as Administrator (or a user with administrative privileges)

May be installed locally or on network share

Syntax:

{path\to\}VPSUPD.CMD {debug} {delay {#} | remove | override}

Parameters:

• debug
      Ordinarily, the script defaults to "silent" mode; this parameter provides console output and VPSUPD.EXE feedback. May be used with other parameters
    • delay {#}
      Allows creation of machine-local Scheduled Task to run every 4 hours, with #-minute delay (default 10); this allows the Computer Startup Script to specify the Scheduled Task without causing resource contention at machine startup. Cannot be used with override or remove parameters
    • remove
      Deletes previously-created Scheduled Task with no further action. Cannot be used with override or delay parameters

NOTE: creating a file called "VPSUPD.REMOVE" in the same folder as VPSUPD.CMD will also remove the previously-created Scheduled Task with no further action; this allows for "zero-touch" configuration of large numbers of systems in an AD domain (when run from a server share)
    • override
      The script checks for a file called "VPSUPD.NOACTION" in the same folder as VPSUPD.CMD; if the file exists, the script will not perform any actions.  This allows "zero-touch" global disable of the script for debugging or testing purposes.

Specifying the "override" parameter ignores the existence of the file and allows the script to be run anyway. Cannot be used with "delay" or "remove" parameters

Requires VPSUPD.VBS, below

The script is internally documented as to the various functions it performs.

• VPSUPD.VBS.TXT
    --- RENAME TO VPSUPD.VBS ---

Visual Basic script that performs the actual download of VPSUPD.EXE
    Used in conjunction with VPSUPD.CMD

The script is internally documented as to the various functions it performs.

The scripts do not require any third-party tools (WGET, similar) in order to function.

*** PLEASE NOTE ***
The scripts download VPSUPD.EXE from the Avast download servers to a local directory on the target machine (the directory location can be modified by modifying VPSUPD.CMD).

You must create a Global Exception in Avast! for the directory location where VPSUPD.EXE is downloaded in order for the update to run successfully!

Questions welcome; however; I reserve the right to treat you like an idiot if reading the contents of either file would have answered your question.

--
Troy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:49:44 PM by ECS Systems Manager »