Author Topic: "Update Failed" Messages on Win XP  (Read 40818 times)

REDACTED

Re: "Update Failed" Messages on Win XP
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
Update from my trouble ticket with Avast (as of 10/12):

I still don't have a "date" at which we're going to see the updated installation files; however, I have been told the following:

When the update is available you will be prompted to do so via the client and console so you will know when the update is available immediately without need of any email communication.

I've asked if this applies in situations where automatic updates have been disabled (such as for all of the XP systems we still have active here), and I'll post again when I know the answer to that question.

However, it doesn't appear that Avast intends to provide any general notification (email, forum post, etc.) when the update is available.

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
I've asked if this applies in situations where automatic updates have been disabled (such as for all of the XP systems we still have active here), and I'll post again when I know the answer to that question.

And, as of 10/15, I've received the following update to my Avast! trouble ticket:

You will be notified on the server which will be the only way you can push the update, the clients will be prompted in their VPS a new program update is available but it can only be distributed through the console if it's a managed client.

So, as near as I can tell, the only notification any of us will receive at this point is when either the Avast! Enterprise (or SOA) Console shows a "notification" that there is a newer version of the program, or when the individual client systems receive such a notification (presuming, of course, that the configuration has not been modified to either automatically update the program itself or to prevent program updating).

And so, we wait...and wait...and wait.

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
Status update from avast! Technical Support as of this morning:

The release for the new program will be available at the end of this month hopefully. When the program update is available you will be prompted on the client that a new program update is available and will then need to first update the console, then push the new client installation.

So, we ask that you continue to be patient.

So, for the third time, I've been told, "Update Real Soon Now."  >:(

--
Troy

Offline AngieD

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »
Thank you, Troy, for taking the time to share with us what information you have concerning this issue.

I will wait a little while longer for the up and coming update. And if all else fails, I will follow your instructions for your workaround.

Let's hope the update will be here soon.  :)

~~  Angie

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
Sad to say, but IMHO the current version of Avast can no longer be considered suitable for enterprise use.  v7 + AES was a considerable step backwards compared to v4 + ADNM. The shortcomings are all over these fora but the pleas have fallen on deaf ears for over two years. And now this. The manual daily update "workaround" is a kludge that does not scale so this bug effectively renders the product useless.

As our subscription was about to expire, we were monitoring this situation before committing the money for another year. As there is not even light at the end of the tunnel, we will not be coming back.

One last thing for others contemplating the same: give yourself plenty of leeway to replace Avast as the thing simply stops working at the end of the subscription. You do not even get to use the last signature updates you paid for despite the claim of a lifetime license on the scan engine.

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
Update to my trouble ticket received today at 2:27am Pacific:

Unfortunately I have been told that due to the delay of the upcoming consumer product release then the Endpoint program update will be delayed. I know your about as upset as I to hear about this delay and if we can push out a beta sooner then I will let you know directly as I just wanted to give you the heads up as you've been extremely patient with us thus far.

Very sorry.

And there you have it, folks.

scoenye: I can't blame you for jumping ship; at this point, I will not be able to recommend to my organization's directors that we continue with avast! beyond the end of our subscription.

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »
So they are saying working on a new consumer product gets priorty over fixing a business product that people have paid a lot of money for >:(

I can see them loosing a lot of business customers over this ::)

Offline green

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
So they are saying working on a new consumer product gets priorty over fixing a business product that people have paid a lot of money for >:(

Yes!  Our 3 years subscription is about to expire and we have more than 100 clients....

I hope the bug will be fixed soon!!!

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
The problem still exists: using Avast endpoint 8.0.1603 and the error message is still the same "Last encountered error: Not enough storage is avaliable to process this command" when trying to update the Avast VPS. If I use the manual VPS update that works seemingly but I manage 20+ client so I don't have time and patience to every day update all manually....!!!

Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a 2 year subscription so my boss not wants to hear any new subscription or change! He said " we are paying enough to Avast to solve this problem " .....

SO WE ARE STILL wait for the official solution!!!! >:(  >:(

not to mention that so far I recommend Avast to all my friend, customer and family member... but nowadays my trust begins to waver....

(to every native speaker: sorry for my engrish...)  ;)

Yes!  Our 3 years subscription is about to expire and we have more than 100 clients....

I hope the bug will be fixed soon!!!

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »
If I use the manual VPS update that works seemingly but I manage 20+ client so I don't have time and patience to every day update all manually....!!!

You might try this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=176210.msg1254186#msg1254186 and this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=176210.msg1257983#msg1257983

The first post is the configuration in Enterprise Administration Console for the group to disable automatic updates (per a support case I opened in September with Avast! technical support).

The second post is a pair of scripts (Windows Command Script and VBScript) I threw together to create an "automated" update when it became clear that Avast! was not going to rapidly resolve this issue back in September...and now that it's November, and we still have no resolution on the issue, it seems to be even more fortuitous.

The total package has been working well for my installation (200+ clients at 13 sites, plus laptop users).

Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a 2 year subscription so my boss not wants to hear any new subscription or change! He said " we are paying enough to Avast to solve this problem " .....

You might want to let your boss know that the money you've already paid seems to be going to support the development of a new "free" product, rather than being invested in improving (or at least maintaining) the enterprise product...and any potential improvements to the "enterprise" product will only be implemented AFTER the "free" and one-shot paying customers are well taken care of.

Avast! seems to assign a higher priority to their "consumer" user base, given that we're now 22 months without a single update to the Avast! core program (while the "consumer" product has been updated routinely); the most recent update from Avast! to my trouble ticket makes it entirely clear that, for Avast!, the "consumer" (read: free package) takes total precedence over the "enterprise" package (bought and paid for, usually at thousands of US Dollars):

Update to my trouble ticket received today October 26, 2015 at 2:27am Pacific:

Unfortunately I have been told that due to the delay of the upcoming consumer product release then the Endpoint program update will be delayed. I know your about as upset as I to hear about this delay and if we can push out a beta sooner then I will let you know directly as I just wanted to give you the heads up as you've been extremely patient with us thus far.

Very sorry.

And there you have it, folks.

not to mention that so far I recommend Avast to all my friend, customer and family member... but nowadays my trust begins to waver....

Not surprised; I know I won't be renewing my organization's 250-user license of Avast! when it expires in August 2016.

I'm still using (at home) and recommending the Avast! free product; after all, they're actually improving it regularly.

However, I intend to find an enterprise anti-malware solution where the company puts their enterprise customers that actually put thousands of dollars each into their revenue stream above their one-shot "consumer" customers and their "free" customers.

Good luck!

--
Troy

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
thanks ECS Systems Manager but i want to use an official solution (an update) for this problem not a "half a loaf is better than no bread" method....  >:(

Your post other half is true and good picture it what I also think about this situation.... And that is a big shame on you AVAST! Inc.

I encourage and support a "free software for everyone" approach but not against the paying customers.... So think this again and do something...

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
Hi everybody,
I've found a temporary solution that keeps winxp pattern up to date: I've luckily stored on a network share the original installation package for clients, generated before the last program release. So it has been simple uninstall Avast from Win Xp machines and reinstall it by the old package. For me is working good both versions 7.x and 8.0.1490 tested on different customers. Obviously I hope Avast Support will solve this issue as soon as possible. I would like to know how to disable "warning" notification on taskbar about program not up to date.
Thanks, Fabio.

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 02:56:42 PM »
Yesterday I sent a ticket into the support system...

Ticket ID: 26523
Subject: "Update Failed" Messages on Win XP SP3

Today I get the following e-mail...:

Hello,

We have recently implemented some changes on our ticketing system. Could you please use the following form and resend your query to the Business support team, I am afraid they use a different system to ourselves so I am unable to transfer this request over to them.

https://www.avast.com/contact-us.php?subject=BUSINESS-SUPPORT

so far this is not FUNNY....  :P BUT I sent them also, so I wait they answer...

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I have been having this same issue since the beginning of September on both Win XP and Win 7 computers.  I'd say probably about 35% of our computers have this issue - messages when updating are either "Virus Definitions are up to date" or "Not enough storage".  I have performed the work around's mentioned in this thread and other threads. They have worked on some computers but not others, and on the computers the work around worked on, a high percentage of them start having the same issues again after about a week.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:15:51 PM by TheYing »

Offline y3Ti

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
Shocking customer service from Avast!  We have 120 user license with 24 months left to run.  Our Windows XP and Windows 10 stations are unprotected.  Support department repeatedly fob us off with broken promises.  If you're considering purchasing Avast! for your corporate environment, take my advice and DON'T BUY IT.  Rubbish.