Author Topic: Avast Keeps Reseting my Allocated Space for System Protection to 3%  (Read 10568 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast Keeps Reseting my Allocated Space for System Protection to 3%
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 03:35:36 AM »
I'd be interested to know the thought processes that go on in making decisions to allow AVAST to muck around with Restore Points in the first place. It is just so arrogant and potentially puts the system at greater risk.

Agreed............but I "think" the issue is Avast Developers have jumped into the world of "virtualization" which is by nature a PIG on resources.  I get their idea of how this can add another level of A/V protection but I'm still not sold it is worth the resources it consumes on my PCs.  I applaud them for their cutting edge thinking but NG has not been the only thing Avast A/V (and other A/Vs) do that is intrusive to the system.....BUT as Viruses get more "intrusive" so too are the prevention & counter measures.  While I do have System Restore enabled, and do not want anything messing with it, I agree with CraigB that the true "restore" is offline imaging......frankly system restore is not always reliable....but there are times it is very help for minor miss-ques. Bottom line, I choose to not install NG for variety of reasons....consumption of space....or possible corruption of restore points is just one good example.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:39:15 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 05:37:10 AM »
Not everyone can afford external hard drives though, which is why some of us still depend on system restore as a backup.

Incidentally making frequent image backups seems a bit OCD-ish :P

Offline 1234ava

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
Not everyone can afford external hard drives though, which is why some of us still depend on system restore as a backup.

Yes, an external hard drive is an additional cost, but I think that's the way to go: backing up an image of your system. Security software and malware can not muck around with your backup images, if you unplug the external hard drive after the backup.

I can think of situations where Windows Restore would not help you, but give you a false security.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

I won't argue I'm OCD......but as the former CEO of Intel (Andy Grove) said/wrote "only the paranoid survive".
To be honest, you can do "on-disk recovery" methods (eg. System Restore, RollBack RX, etc.) but the reality is HDDs will (not if) fail.....it is just a matter of time.  You need to be protected for as they call it "bare metal recovery"........meaning new HDD in PC and re-image. This will happen.....forget about just Virus or bad driver installs, etc......and if you don't have an external image of your HDD you lose everything. Obviously, with the new "cloud" world you can/should have your important "docs" backed up in the cloud. Bottom line, is just live Virus/Malware protection.....having backup protection is a layered approach. I once read a good instructional manual and the commentary within in it stated "I'm often asked how often should I back things up ?.........my answer is simple.....exactly how much of your data/info since last backup are you willing to lose forever.".

As 1234ava states.........System Restore is great to have/use and is helpful but FAR from getting you out of all jams....if you depend on it solely then you are definitely running with blinders on.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:00:50 PM by thekochs »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »

1. They are getting cheaper, but another option is a second internal HDD (which I have on this system), this tends to be cheaper and is usually a faster spin rate.

2. Rather depends on what you consider frequent. I do a weekly drive image backup (and keep the last 6). There are some drive imaging programs that also do daily incremental backups between full weekly image backups.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 07:28:45 PM »
This will be fixed in next update, hopefully your system restore limit won't be reset anymore.
Pk, can't it be in the beta update?
The best things in life are free.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
I just updated to the latest version of Avast and it didn't change my settings:
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet