Author Topic: avast just destroyed my computer  (Read 5694 times)

REDACTED

avast just destroyed my computer
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
run the avast smart scan, found some issues, program update etc....  nothing special. got to the part with the grime fighter, run the scan and reboot my pc. now I cant run a single application accept Microsoft edge for some reason, every other program I try to run I immediately get " The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000034). did anyone else have this problem? any solution will be a blessing at this point.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avast just destroyed my computer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
hey go into grimefighter and revers what it fix. it have been reportet into the past that grimefighter somethimes makes a computer unbottable unforgently. never used it my self. i go with ccleaner is safer.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
the thing is I cant run avast now. is there any other way to get to the grim fighter?

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
Why would anybody want to run avast cleanup on Windows 10? avast may have changed the name, but they haven't changed the reliability.
That should be obvious to anybody who spends 5 minutes looking at the forums.

My advice would be to take a full system partition backup before doing anything with this dubious product.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
well believe it or not but not everyone spend their days in the forums of an antivirus software. had avast for several years now and never had problems before...

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »
avast a/v - perhaps they've earned a good reputation for their security products.  But this "cleanup" product, is nothing to do with security at all.

They bought it from somebody else and have tinkered with it.  I'm sorry, but to me, that warrants further investigation before running it.
This whole class of products that promise to make your PC more efficient and run faster needs to be handled with some skepticism.

I have not seen a single report from any user on this forum giving any details of anything good this product did for them.

Recent versions of Windows pretty much take care of themselves; there is a lot of self tuning and optimization that Windows does itself

I hope you get your PC restored and working again, and as I found out the hard way once myself, take a backup first.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »
nothing special. got to the part with the grime fighter

GrimeFighter is now Avast Cleanup  https://blog.avast.com/2015/07/20/your-grimefighter-is-now-avast-cleanup/

so you may not have latest version?

also some info here  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=173593.msg1232512#msg1232512

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:01:12 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
Whatever it is called it is nothing but bloatware. I would never use it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:14 AM »
Whatever it is called it is nothing but bloatware. I would never use it.
Well, too bitter. Right now, Cleanup is working smoothly in my Windows 10. No problems whatsoever. Next versions will improve the cleaning capacity :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 03:37:17 AM »
Lisandro, what exactly did avast cleanup do for you in Windows 10?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59:28 AM »
Lisandro, what exactly did avast cleanup do for you in Windows 10?
lt cleans grime files and, most important, uninstall leftovers. It also cleans Windows Registry with safety.
None of the cleaning processes are aggressive or, saying in other words, could lead your computer to danger or issues.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:17:02 AM by Lisandro »
The best things in life are free.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
What are "grime files" ?  Do you mean the temp folder?  What are 'leftovers"  ?

What does "clean the registry" mean?  Does it delete entries judged to be superfluous,
or does it just compress the registry and save some space.

I'm glad that you say it behaves in a non-aggressive manner, but I would ask you why
are there so many users having problems?
If, after this cleaning, the PC boots up and something is now not working, then, avast cleanup did too much.

This is the problem with all these kinds of program (cleaners).  I think it really takes a tech user to use them properly -
somebody to look at the proposed actions and be a final judge of running them or not.  And even then, there
will still be an occasional mistake.

Do you really think it's a good idea to let this program loose on the general (mostly novice) avast community?

Is it a good idea to use it in Windows 10? It's early days for the OS, it has enough of it's own problems
with things not fully stable.  Running avast cleanup in here can only complicate the situation, surely?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:46:04 AM by davexnet »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »
I'm glad that you say it behaves in a non-aggressive manner, but I would ask you why
are there so many users having problems?
I think most of those with problems use/used the old GrimeFighter program  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=173593.msg1232512#msg1232512

-The cleaning engine no longer relies on Linux.  It runs completely in Windows.  It means we will avoid those issues with booting into Linux and other incompatibilities that users had before.  It's just a lot more comfortable for users without any need for booting/rebooting outside of Windows
Anyway i dont use it as CCleaner does the work for me and have never failed

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »
-The cleaning engine no longer relies on Linux.  It runs completely in Windows.  It means we will avoid those issues with booting into Linux and other incompatibilities that users had before.  It's just a lot more comfortable for users without any need for booting/rebooting outside of Windows
Anyway i dont use it as CCleaner does the work for me and have never failed

Does CCleaner run on automatic, or do you have to review the proposed "fixes" before applying?
What parts of CCeaner do you use ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
Latest CCleaner monitor the system and will give a popup warning when it is time to remove crap, payed version i think will auto clean
there is also CCleaner for Mac and Android

i run it with default settings ... also run reg cleaner now and then, some say this is just snake oil
anyway CCleaner reg clean is one of two programs that has not given me problems