Author Topic: 28 unnecessary apps to clean up, all the same \Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApp  (Read 8455 times)

REDACTED

Sorry for posting two questions back-to-back, but I ran an Avast scan for performance issues earlier, and it's showing 28 unnecessary applications, listed as "System Toolbars." I've never had to delete any toolbars in the past because Avast never found any.

So I'm not sure about these 28 "toolbars" and didn't want to break anything on this new upgrade of Windows 10. The weird part is all 28 are the exact same, just with different strings of numbers at the end. They are all ....\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved...(then long string of numbers). I attached a screen shot.

For the first time ever, those showed up on my Windows 7 before the upgrade too, and I just decided to delete them, thinking it was just Microsoft repeatedly making sure my system could handle Windows 10??

But now after I have upgraded to Windows 10, they are all back again.

Even if it's safe to disable them all, I'd still like to know what they are/what they do/where they came from. Anyone know? Or anyone else have them on their computer? Amateur here, just want to learn.

Once again, thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:51:40 AM by LadyA »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=63.0

Hmm, okay... guess I posted in the wrong forum? Is that what you're pointing out? Sorry, I can't figure out how to move my own threads. I didn't realize there was a CleanUp/GrimeFighter specific forum. CleanUp is part of Avast and loads with it and I just assumed they are together.

Or are you pointing out all the threads where people say not to download GrimeFighter/CleanUp? I paid for my version in Windows 7, mainly because of the system tweaks it could (allegedly) do to speed up my computer (I'm not experienced enough to know what/where the tweaks are to do them myself, so I thought this program would be cool). I do regret paying for it though, as I haven't noticed anything it has helped or sped up unfortunately. It honestly may have slowed down my Windows 7 actually, which is why I was excited that Windows 10 came out right about the same time. Figured a clean install would fix things. I upgraded to Windows 10 and now GrimeFighter is CleanUp. Still not really sure anything will change for me as far as actually helping my system.

However, I guess my question may not technically have been an Avast Clean Up issue; I guess I'm mainly wondering if anyone knows what all those tool bars are that it says it found. Like I said, it found them in Windows 7, and again after the upgrade to Windows 10.  28 toolbars that are all the exact same file name except for the strings of numbers at the end of each one. Anyone know what they do, or where they came from? It is safe to just disable all of them?

Do you think this is a Malware forum question instead? That's all I want to make sure is that those toolbars aren't malware, I guess. I searched the forum many times before posting and similar files/toolbars shown up in other peoples logs that they have shared, so I guess it's not unique to me or my computer... but I couldn't find anyone specifically saying what those do or where they came from.

I dunno, you can just delete this thread though and I can continue looking elsewhere. Don't really have the time to read thru 19 pages in the Clean Up/GrimeFighter forum (search results don't bring up anything specific to those toolbars I'm asking about).

Thanks anyways! (I might have gone completely off track, sorry... it could help to add a word or two to your reply, instead of just a link, so I can understand better. :) )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
1. Hmm, okay... guess I posted in the wrong forum? Is that what you're pointing out?
2. Do you think this is a Malware forum question instead? That's all I want to make sure is that those toolbars aren't malware, I guess.
3. Thanks anyways!
1. Yep.
2. If you need a check, start a new topic in V&W and post your logs there: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=post;board=4.0
3. You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline 1234ava

As to the Windows registry keys in your screenshot, a google search finds this article. Looks like they are not actual toolbars, but "pre-approved" ActiveX controls.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows7/AdminTips/Security/Removingpre-approvedActiveXcontrolsfromInternetExplorer.html

REDACTED

Thanks, 123ava! I had googled the string (HKLM thing in my screenshot), but the 1st page of google didn't tell me much, so I must not have looked hard enough, or else typoed on the search terms.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff... now that I know they aren't actual toolbars and are not malware/spyware or anything, do you know if that means I should just leave them alone and not worry about it (i.e. not tell Avast to disable them)? I understood the gist of the info in the link, but don't really understand if I should actually do anything about them. Chrome is my default browser, but occasionally IE will open, like if I click a link in a help file for a program or something. Other than that, I don't use it. Seems like IE is the origin of all those registry key things though?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:10:27 AM by LadyA »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
I'm not sure the pre-approved "whitelist" is a security threat, nor is it taking up much space,
nor will deleting it make your system faster.  It's true the registry can hold a lot of redundant keys,
but clearing them out does not speed up the PC.

I would leave them alone.  Yours is the first post I've seen where a user has given actual details
of something avast Cleanup tried to do.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

Okay, thanks! That's good to know. Sounds like it's not really hurting much and there's not really anything for me to gain by disabling or deleting them, so I'll just leave them be. :)

Thanks again!