Author Topic: Avast Detected Issue During Boot-Time Scan  (Read 1616 times)

REDACTED

Avast Detected Issue During Boot-Time Scan
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
Recently, I performed a boot-time scan of my computer just to be on the safe side. I'm using the free version of Avast!, and the virus definitions, as well as the program, are both up to date.

During the scan, Avast! detected several issues which I don't think are virus-related. I received 5 or so notifications which said the following:

FileC:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\(they each had a different number in this section)\BIT22C2.tmpl>.\.\.\NDP40-KBZ972215.msp Error 42127 (CAB archive is corrupted.)

Forgive me, as it may not be exact message I received, but I wrote it down quickly during the boot-time scan. There were about five of them. I do not know what caused this, or what this is exactly, but I'm wondering if this was caused when I had to power off my computer during a Windows update?

I had little choice, because a thunderstorm was approaching, and I didn't have the time to let it update. So, it was either turn it off or leave it on during a thunderstorm, and I didn't want the latter.

So, what is this and what can I do to resolve it? My computer is currently not performing any differently than it typically does. Nothing seems affected and the official result of the scan is that there was no virus found. Thank you in advance!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Detected Issue During Boot-Time Scan
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
The software distribution folder is related to windows downloads, does the Windows update function still work correctly? if so then you have nothing to worry about.

In the future I wouldn't interrupt the system while performing updates, you could be left with an unbootable system :o