Author Topic: HijackThis download  (Read 4704 times)

megaman04

HijackThis download
« on: November 24, 2005, 11:02:42 PM »
I downloaded HijackThis, but I'm not able to open it up and run the program.  I was advised to download 7z423.exe. to open up HijackThis, but it doesn't seem to work.  Any suggestions how to open HijackThis, etc?  Thanks, Megaman

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HijackThis download
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:45:31 AM »
You really have to stop this jumping to another thread because you don't like the answers you are getting, ask for more help in the same thread. The answers won't be any different just because you ask them in a different thread.

When you jump out of a thread the history of the problem is lost the people who have been helping you have effectively wasted their time, do you think they will come to your assistance so readily next time? Those who come to your aid elsewhere are likely to have to ask questions that have been asked and answered in the original thread, wasted effort.

OK lets try to get you started.
You double click on the hijackthis.zip file that you want to open, because you have installed 7zip, it should be associated with archive files (.zip, compressed files, etc.), 7zip will automatically be run and open the .zip file that you double clicked showing the contents of the .zip file.

1. Click the Extract icon.
2. Click on the browse icon the button with the ....
3. Click the Make New Folder or select the folder you created earlier.
 - You need to extract the contents to a folder, you can either have created it first or use the Make New Folder, say C:\Program Files\HiJackThis would be fine.
4. once you have the new folder HiJackThis selected, click OK until the contents are extracted.

You should now be able to run HiJackThis.exe which will be in your new folder C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\hijackthis.exe

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »
A word of caution megaman04. Once you've mastered extracting HiJackThis to its Folder, please read all you can about using the program. There are many sites which have tutorials . You can do a lot of damage if you dont know what your doing  ;)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

http://castlecops.com/HijackThis.html

megaman04

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:02:39 PM »
You really have to stop this jumping to another thread because you don't like the answers you are getting, ask for more help in the same thread. The answers won't be any different just because you ask them in a different thread.

When you jump out of a thread the history of the problem is lost the people who have been helping you have effectively wasted their time, do you think they will come to your assistance so readily next time? Those who come to your aid elsewhere are likely to have to ask questions that have been asked and answered in the original thread, wasted effort.

You double click on the hijackthis.zip file that you want to open, because you have installed 7zip, it should be associated with archive files (.zip, compressed files, etc.), 7zip will automatically be run and open the .zip file that you double clicked showing the contents of the .zip file.

- You need to extract the contents to a folder, you can either have created it first or use the Make New Folder, say C:\Program Files\HiJackThis would be fine.
4. once you have the new folder HiJackThis selected, click OK until the contents are extracted.

You should now be able to run HiJackThis.exe which will be in your new folder C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\hijackthis.exe

DavidR, thanks for the info.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'll make it a point to not create multiple threads on the same topic.  It's just that, I spent six hours yesterday (Thanksgiving Day) to try to figure out things regarding SpyBlaster, Spybot, HijackThis, and 7-zip.

I got some answers, but they weren't step-by-step, easy-to-follow procedures.  For example, I believe it was Tech who helped me with 7z423.exe file.  I started to follow his procedures, but it was confusing.  I got frustrated and started a new thread to see if someone else could help me.

It helps me when the procedures are very detailed to the point where a 2nd grader is able to follow the directions.  When they are not, and some steps are missing or are confusing, then I have to go back to the forum and make a post to get clarity, and wait for a better response.

If someone can reply with simply, easy-to-follow procedures the first time, that would help cut down unnecessary time I spend having to post follow-up post to get specific instructions.

Anyway, I ended up uninstalling SpyBlaster and Spybot - Search & Destroy programs yesterday after I reinstalled them several times without fixing the problems.  So I have to start over again.

I'll have to try your procedures and see if they work in the order you've set them up to be.  I'm a very detail-oriented person.  When I help someone with something, I give all the details, from the smallest to the largest, without skipping pertinent information, so they can understand it easily.  To be honest, the tech people are very smart and knowledgeable in their areas of expertise, which is good, but sometimes they don't know how to convey the information the best way to faciliate learning and understanding.  And maybe they are learning how to do that too.  Thanks, Megaman

megaman04

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »

David, I tried to follow your procedures, but they do not work.  For example, I double-clicked on hijachthis.zip file, and the WinZip, not the 7-zip program window appeared.  There are buttons to choose from, i.e., "Quit," "I Agree...," "Ordering Info."  So that's where I'm stuck at.  I clicked on "Quit."

I do have the 7z423.exe file already installed.  RejZor's post didn't work as well, i.e., he said to "Just intall it, go to Tools\Options, on System tab select archive types..."  But there are no Tools\Options tab, etc.  So I don't know what he's talking about.  It's unclear.

That's why I keeping creating new threads in hopes that someone with the knowledge is able to post accurate procedures.  I have to keep posting replys to get answers which should have been dealt with by a tech person on their first try, given that they know what the problem is.  When I state a problem, I give all the details so the tech person knows what is going on.

Anyway, I'm stuck again.  That's why it's frustrating because the people (techs) with the knowledge have a difficult time expressing or outlining the a step-by-step, easy-to-follow method to solve the problem, at least, that's been my experience recently so far.  So here I go again replying asking for more help and even creating a new thread.  Megaman

megaman04

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:08:40 AM »
Tech people, you don't have to reply to my inquiries about HijackThis and 7-zip because in another post, someone advised me not to use HijackThis because it can damage a computer system if a person doesn't know what he or she is doing.  I already uninstalled HijackThis and 7-zip.  Thanks, Megaman