Author Topic: I have two processes running with Avast in the title?  (Read 3300 times)

REDACTED

I have two processes running with Avast in the title?
« on: September 16, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
I noticed on my task manager, in the processes tab, that there are two processes running which have "Avast" in their name. The processes are:

AvastSvc.exe*32 (currently using around 30,500K of memory)

avastui.exe*32 (currently using around 8,776K of memory)

I right-clicked and went to properties on both of these processes. The first one, AvastSvc.exe*32, has a description (in the properties window) which says "avast! Service". The second one, avastui.exe*32, has a description (in the properties window) which says "avast! Antivirus". There is a difference in the two descriptions. I don't know if I've seen two processes by avast before. It's possible they've always been there. I check my task manager frequently.

So, does anyone know if one of those processes is a malicious fake? As explained, when I right-clicked and went to properties, one was described as "avast! Service" and the other as "avast! Antivirus", two different descriptions. So, should I be concerned about this? Or are BOTH of these supposed to be there? Thanks. :)

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: I have two processes running with Avast in the title?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
Everything is fine.
AvastSvc.exe is Web Shield and avastui.exe is GUI (graphical user interface).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I have two processes running with Avast in the title?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
Everything is fine.
AvastSvc.exe is Web Shield and avastui.exe is GUI (graphical user interface).

The AvastSvc.exe isn't just for the Web Shield, it is the main avast service and scanning engine of the File System Shield and Mail Shield also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security