Author Topic: Need help with Zips  (Read 7526 times)

megaman04

Need help with Zips
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:19:26 AM »
This is my situation.  I downloaded HijackThis.  It's in a "zip" file.  When I double-click on HijackThis, a fancy Win-Zip window appears.

There are options to choose: "View evaluation license," "Enter registration code," "I Agree," "Quit," and "Ordering Info."  I clicked on "I Agree," and it took me to a window titled, "WinZip (Unregistered) - hijackthis.zip.  There are buttons underneath the title such as: "New," "Open," "Favorites," "Add," "Extract," "View," "Checkout," and "Wizard."  This is where I'm stuck.  I don't know what else to do.

Upon the advice of someone from a forum, I downloaded the 7-zip (7z423.exe) file.  The person said it's better than WinZip.  So I installed it.  There's an icon with 7z423.exe underneath it, but I don't know how to use it.

Now I have WinZip and 7-zip.  And I still am not able to use HijackThis.  Anyone who can outline a step-by-step procedure is welcome to tackle my dilemma.  So far, people have tried to give directions, but are unable to include a step-by-step procedure.  I'm hoping for someone to give the right instructions so that I don't have to keep posting my problem.  Thanks, Megaman

Rick F

Re: Need help with Zips
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:32:37 AM »
There are buttons underneath the title such as: "New," "Open," "Favorites," "Add," "Extract," "View," "Checkout," and "Wizard."  This is where I'm stuck.  I don't know what else to do.

You have to 'extract' zipped files to see their elements.  Just click on 'extract', it will then ask you where to extract them to.  I usually put the extracted files in a subdirectory named after the file I'm concerned with... like 'HJT'.

Hope this helps.

megaman04

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 03:16:44 AM »
There are buttons underneath the title such as: "New," "Open," "Favorites," "Add," "Extract," "View," "Checkout," and "Wizard."  This is where I'm stuck.  I don't know what else to do.

You have to 'extract' zipped files to see their elements.  Just click on 'extract', it will then ask you where to extract them to.  I usually put the extracted files in a subdirectory named after the file I'm concerned with... like 'HJT'.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

Tech people, you don't have to reply to my inquiries about HijackThis and 7-zip because in another post, someone advised me not to use HijackThis because it can damage a computer system if a person doesn't know what he or she is doing.  I already uninstalled HijackThis and 7-zip.  Thanks, Megaman

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:20:35 AM »
I just wonder, how did you manage to uninstall Hijackthis when it wasn't installed in the first place in your system. If I remember well, you were asking all those questions about 7-zip/WinZIP just because you didn't know how to decompress Hijackthis installation file (it was inside the zip archive). So just FYI, proper uninstalling of a program and just simply deleting of the archive file is not the same... you just deleted Hijackthis zipped file. No need to uninstall it anyway, because it wasn't even installed on your computer. It was just one compressed (ZIP) file laying down on your hard drive.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:21:25 AM »
Tech people, you don't have to reply to my inquiries about HijackThis and 7-zip because in another post, someone advised me not to use HijackThis because it can damage a computer system if a person doesn't know what he or she is doing.  I already uninstalled HijackThis and 7-zip.  Thanks, Megaman
I was following your posts... hoping you could get it, but, really, Bob said (and I agreed) that HijackThis is not a toy, it's an advanced tool and could mess your system if you don't manage it properly. It just scans but if you interpret wrong its results, wow, you could do it very bad.
You've wrote (or read) that WinZip is better than 7-zip. Sure, but WinZip does not have a free version as 7-zip. 7-zip works very well, it's stable and free. If you keep here round, reading avast! forums, you can learn things and, maybe, you could use it in the future  8)
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:51:20 PM »
 :)  Might also learn some interesting things on the forums
     at www.aumha.net !?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 05:11:45 AM by Spiritsongs »

megaman04

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 10:09:05 PM »
I just wonder, how did you manage to uninstall Hijackthis when it wasn't installed in the first place in your system. If I remember well, you were asking all those questions about 7-zip/WinZIP just because you didn't know how to decompress Hijackthis installation file (it was inside the zip archive). So just FYI, proper uninstalling of a program and just simply deleting of the archive file is not the same... you just deleted Hijackthis zipped file. No need to uninstall it anyway, because it wasn't even installed on your computer. It was just one compressed (ZIP) file laying down on your hard drive.

Cheers !

I went to the Add/Remove Programs and found that HijackThis was still in there so I uninstalled it.  I thought I had uninstalled it before.  I also deleted the Hijack icon on the desktop and the "Zip" Hijack program as well.

And I uninstalled 7-zip and deleted the desktop icon too.  So I don't have either on the computer.  Megaman

megaman04

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
I was following your posts... hoping you could get it, but, really, Bob said (and I agreed) that HijackThis is not a toy, it's an advanced tool and could mess your system if you don't manage it properly. It just scans but if you interpret wrong its results, wow, you could do it very bad.
You've wrote (or read) that WinZip is better than 7-zip. Sure, but WinZip does not have a free version as 7-zip. 7-zip works very well, it's stable and free. If you keep here round, reading avast! forums, you can learn things and, maybe, you could use it in the future  8)

Thanks for the tip.  My friend's computer has WinZip, so I don't know where she got it from.  I've heard 7-zip is the "new kid on the block" and that it's good, but I have to find out how to use it and stuff.  I don't even know how to use WinZip.  It shouldn't be hard to use I imagine, but I just don't know how to navigate through it.  I don't remember ever using WinZip before.  Megman

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »
Megaman, why don't you look for info in their websites?
www.winzip.com
www.7-zip.org
We can learn a lot of things reading the manuals and help files, websites and forums.

P.S. To old members: this phrase remember Eddy, doesn't it?  ;D  ;D

megaman04

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 07:12:24 PM »
Megaman, why don't you look for info in their websites?
www.winzip.com
www.7-zip.org
We can learn a lot of things reading the manuals and help files, websites and forums.

True, I figured I could get the answers from you folks to save time, instead of doing the research myself.

P.S. To old members: this phrase remember Eddy, doesn't it?  ;D  ;D

I didn't get it.  What do you mean?  Megaman

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 07:48:01 PM »
I didn't get it.  What do you mean?  Megaman
What do you mean? The PS?
It's just a phrase that Eddy (an avast old user) used to post here in forums, nothing more, just a joke  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »
Post Script (P.S.) to old members, those who are likely to remember Eddy would often advise R.T.F.M, read the flipping manual.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 01:57:09 AM »
Btw, where is he ? Disappeared for the secod time...   ???
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 02:19:04 AM »
Eddy has been about but not a frequently as before, perhaps taking  little time out. I think he is still 'watching over us' but not posting so often.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security