Author Topic: Treewalk DNS showing virus  (Read 5032 times)

kpurcell

Treewalk DNS showing virus
« on: August 13, 2005, 06:24:08 PM »
When I try to install Treewalk DNS (recommended on this forum a few times) and it shows a trojan.

File Name:... treewalk.exe
Malware Name: Win32:Trojano-1956[Tr]
Malware Type: Trojan Horse
VPS version: 0532-6. 08/13/2005

On the treewalk site it claims to be a false positive.

Should I trust this and install anyway?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Treewalk DNS showing virus
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:56:28 PM »
Personally when it comes to my system security I trust very little, I have no doubt that the Treewalk site does state that is is a false positive, but would you take the word of someone who you don't know who also wrote the software. If (and this is purely hypothetical) it were you and you were asked if there was any malware with your software (any there was), what would you say?

You are right to check but never take anything at face value.

If you are getting a virus warning that you believe is a false positive, then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces).

Give a brief outline of the problem, the fact that you believe it to be a false positive and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Axn...

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:26:39 AM »
kpurcell prepondered:
When I try to install Treewalk DNS (recommended on this forum a few times) and it shows a trojan.
Just to be fair, I think somebody should mention that
it was a false-positive... Been using TW for years.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 07:29:18 AM by Axn... »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »
I think that kpurcell was shown how to confirm if it was or wasn't a false positive using two alternative multi engine scanners. I can't say if it is a false positive, I've never heard of treewalker let alone used it. So all that I could do was to show how to confirm or deny and what to do to help resolve an FP or undetected virus, send it to avast so that later versions of the VPS correct the FP or include a new virus.

That must have been enough for kpurcell as they never made a further comment since August 13th, over three months ago.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security