Author Topic: Help! Avast not scanning Outlook Express  (Read 14121 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Help! Avast not scanning Outlook Express
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 08:56:41 PM »
Which is why the human brain should always be your first line of defense, don't open email attachments from unknown sources or even known sources that could be infected (friends) until you check.

Exactly! But it is still amazing how many people still get infected (and annoyed and want to blame the AV company) even though their AV is "up to date". Five minutes a week checking online virus libraries would save them a lot of grief. At least they might recognize some of the subject titles new virusi use.

I usually got to http://vil.nai.com/vil/newly-discovered-viruses.asp
It's usually quite up to date.
I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 11:48:55 PM »
Yes a good link for new virus info, googling on an email subject title, attachment, etc. often returns some info.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Perillustris

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 12:31:44 AM »
Hi,

i see this, too (the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start), i haven't got any web accelerator, and i think, at first,  Avast Home scanned outgoing and incoming MS Outlook 2002 messages.

thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 12:36:27 AM »
i see this, too (the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start), i haven't got any web accelerator, and i think, at first,  Avast Home scanned outgoing and incoming MS Outlook 2002 messages.
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 or 2002(?) > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

As reported a lot of times, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.
The best things in life are free.