Author Topic: secureline and torrents suddenly not working  (Read 26029 times)

REDACTED

secureline and torrents suddenly not working
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
So I will start by saying I am VERY computer illiterate which is the biggest reason I like avast in the past its been a very easy program that does all my security for me without me having to change or worry about settings much.  It took me awhile to figure this one out but trial and error finally lead me to believe avast is my current problem.  I connect to avast secureline religiously soon as I boot my computer up and do ALL my internet through it.

I also use a program called vuze bittorrent for torrenting.  I noticed maybe a week ago (fairly recently) that no matter where I got the sources from or how many peers are available I could get no download speed at all.  After  going a little crazy trying different settings within the program I reset my computer and forgot to connect to secureline and instantly all the torrents I was waiting on started to download.  I connect to secureline they disappear and go back to zero. 

My biggest question is I havnt done anything diferrent no setting changes to either program  so any idea why it seems secureline is suddenly preventing torrent connections?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: secureline and torrents suddenly not working
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Hi
With VPN services there can always be 'server issues' on any given server at any time. Also there are high traffic times and numerous other situations that can affect efficiency.
I'm only a user but I would try all server locations to see if speeds are better.
Also see if it clears up/resolves in a day or two. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:41 PM »
Thanks for the response! This has been going on for a few days already however and I have tested with multiple different torrents and server sources so I can't chalk it up to that :( anyone else got any ideas?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:52:53 AM »
anyone else have a theory for me to try out? I just tried it again today with a new batch of torrents exactly the same issue as before :( this is one of the prime reasons I got the program and it worked fine for months so I just cant figure out whats changed!

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
Hi Jacobs,

Please try a server in New York, Seattle, or Miami if you are US based.  Those are where we have our datacenters so the server infrastructure is the most robust and reliable.  Please do post back if you continue to have issues or even if it works just so we know.

Thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »
I gave it a day or two to make sure the fix sticked and it did that may have just been the issue a poor connection.  I was generally getting connected to California I believe but I made sure it connected me to new York the last few days and ive been able to download again! I will be back if it doesn't prove permanent but so far I think maybe it was a combination of bad torrents/bad connection to a server!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
I gave it a day or two to make sure the fix sticked and it did that may have just been the issue a poor connection.  I was generally getting connected to California I believe but I made sure it connected me to new York the last few days and ive been able to download again! I will be back if it doesn't prove permanent but so far I think maybe it was a combination of bad torrents/bad connection to a server!

Good to see it's working for you. That's why I suggested trying other Server Locations in my reply to your inquiry.
It always useful to go through the full range of servers with any VPN service as data flow can vary from server to server.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
I have the same problem as Jacob69.
i also use Vuze and have noticed that when selecting a torrent whilst using secureline it will not begin to download no matter how many seeds there are.
disconnect then reconnect and hey presto, seeds connect and download starts. all it takes is for me to show the world what I'm doing......
I'm in Australia with limited choices as there is only 1 in Melbourne.
any suggestions other than try a different VPN provider?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
I have the same problem as Jacob69.
i also use Vuze and have noticed that when selecting a torrent whilst using secureline it will not begin to download no matter how many seeds there are.
disconnect then reconnect and hey presto, seeds connect and download starts. all it takes is for me to show the world what I'm doing......
I'm in Australia with limited choices as there is only 1 in Melbourne.
any suggestions other than try a different VPN provider?

You could PM Davidek as he has supplied information in Post #4
He may be able to shed further light on resolving your issue.
Maybe Secureline is not capable of supplying what you need. :)

Offline anarkii

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 07:26:17 AM »
Secureline was working with torrents but it seems that for whatever reason, the speed gets very limited (like under 10kb/sec or just refuses to connect flat out. I suspect that its possibly to do with the amount of copyright notices that the ISPs would get due to us downloading the torrents securely.

I can also confirm its a SecureLine related issue, as soon as I dissconnected from Seattle server (as suggested earlier) and just used a https proxy connection, my speeds jumped from .05kb/sec to well over 2mb/sec. Hopefully this change would be returned to how it was in a future update.

Anyway if you use utorrent or zune, just connect via https and use the ip 27.106.33.161 with a port 8080. Its just a public proxy.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
Hi,

Please try connecting to servers where we have our primary data centers; Seattle, Miami, New York, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and Prague.  There shouldn't be any issues from those locations.

Best regards,

Davidek

Offline anarkii

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:14 AM »

1.2KB/sec
vs

492KB/sec
Definitely ports or something being blocked with torrents.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm located in France and I have exactly the same problem as Jacob69, exactly since I started using (and paying for !!!) Avast Secureline.
Secureline is NOT working with utorrent, the dl traffic goes DOWN in seconds as soon as I connect through the VPN.
It's very bad because this issue should have been notified BEFORE subscribing for a non-free VPN ?

What happens exactly :
Using the Setup Guide in utorrent, section "bandwidth", I've tried changing location but there is still no incoming connections (the test results say, with either London or Paris : nearly 2 MB/s !!)
The problem seems to be somewhere else, and I'm pretty sure it's not a utorrent issue : in the second section of the SetupGuide, (network), they say "the port is not open (you are still able to dl"
As soon as I diconnect the Secureline VPN, everything works fine again !!

What's the use of paying VPN services if you have to disconnect it for downloads to work ? and I guess there is no refund !!  >:(

What to do : I think it's a network issue, but I don't know nothing about port-forwarding and I was said there was nothing to change in the utorrent settings.
Maybe in my router ? Or maybe in the Secureline settings ? (but I don't even know how to get to them...!)

My native language is french and I have difficulties to understand english when talking high-tech ; please try to be as simple as possible in your answer !!

Anyway thanks very much in trying to help me solving these issues !

MrMojo
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:26:10 AM by mister.mojo »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:12:45 AM »
Anyway if you use utorrent or zune, just connect via https and use the ip 27.106.33.161 with a port 8080. Its just a public proxy.
Hi Anarkii what do u mean by that ? How u do it ?

Thx for the help...

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »
Hi mister.mojo,

What servers were you trying to connect through please?  Could you please provide a log file?

It is located in C:, program data, avast software, avast, log.  The file is called SecureLine

If program data folder is not visible, it means you need to "unhide" it.  You can do that by going to the control panel, then type "folder" into the search bar then select "show hidden files and folder".  Then View, Advanced Settings, and select "show hidden files"

Best regards,

Davidek