Author Topic: Conflict Between Avast! and Comodo Free Firewall  (Read 9438 times)

REDACTED

Conflict Between Avast! and Comodo Free Firewall
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:58:33 AM »
Hi,

I've gotten several BSODs recently and both WhoCrashed and Windbg have said the cause is cmdguard.sys, the driver for Comodo's Firewall Virtual Sandbox. I ran Comodo's diagnostics and sent the reports to their Technical Support people. I just heard back from them, and they said that the problem is Comodo is conflicting with Avast!. They instructed me to uninstall Avast!. I really don't want to do this as I like and am happy with Avast! and it's performance.

So, I would like to know if anyone else is running Comodo Free Firewall (I'm using the current version, 10.4.2233.), and if so, are you having any problems with BSODs? Are there any insights into how to resolve this issue besides uninstalling Avast! and using another free antivirus program?

I've had other BSODs also but the Comodo driver was not indicated to be the cause.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and the most current version of Avast! but the BSODs occurred with the previous version of Avast! also.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Conflict Between Avast! and Comodo Free Firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »
Hi Asyn,

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. I appreciate the help and guidance on how to proceed with Avast!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 02:33:32 AM »
Hi mybuddy1998 :)

Asyn forgot to tell you that with the turorial, in case of a BSOD, in Step 7 Figure 4 you also have to select Full dumps.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:35:44 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:52:50 AM »
Hi Red,

Thanks so much for the heads up on the additional information Avast! needs. I was just getting ready to run the support tool and thought I'd check the Forum before doing so. So, your timing was perfect!  :)

Best regards,  mybuddy1998

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »
Hi Asyn,

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. I appreciate the help and guidance on how to proceed with Avast!
You're welcome.

PS: Thanks Red, a full dump won't be wrong.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
Hi,

It's been over a week since I opened a ticket with Avast!'s Technical Support and submitted the file created by the Support Tool, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. On September 29th, I added a note to the ticket asking if there was a problem with either the description of the issue in my ticket or with the submitted file, but that note did not prompt a reply. In the past, I've heard back from Technical Support within 1 day of opening ticket.

It seems that I should have gotten a reply by now even if it's just to say they are investigating the issue which is what happened on one other ticket.

So, does anyone know of anyway to get someone in Technical Support to read and reply to my ticket?

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 05:56:19 AM »
Can you please post your Ticket ID ?
As we can forward it then.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:58:17 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 03:16:35 AM »
Hi Red,

The ticket number is LOC-562-37311. Thank you so very much for forwarding it to Avast!'s Technical Support. I also included the ticket number in the comments box associated with the submitted file generated by the Support Tool.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »
The ticket number is LOC-562-37311. Thank you so very much for forwarding it to Avast!'s Technical Support.
NP, it's done.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:47:46 AM »
Hi Asyn,

Excellent. Thank you so very much for your help and for taking care of it so quickly.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »
You're welcome.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 02:39:12 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently running Commodo's free firewall, as well as Avast Free Antivirus. I was able to get around this conflict by completely disabling the following Commodo features:

Auto-Sandbox
HIPS
Viruscope

Avast! comes with HIPS, and an auto-sandbox features built in which conflict with the same features in Commodo's free firewall, and with virus protection by Avast, Viruscope is unnecessary in my opinion.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 03:12:01 AM »
Hi jasoncollege24,

Thank you so very much for your help and the excellent suggestions. I really appreciate everything.

I have a few questions though:

1. Where is Auto-Sandbox in Avast!?
2. Do you use the Virtual Desktop? I can't find a way of disabling it (which I really don't want to do anyway as I think this is one of the best features in COMODO Free Firewall).
3. Are the settings in Avast!'s Web Scanning and Web Exclusions the same as COMODO's HIPS? If not, how is HIPS accomplished in AVAST! Free Firewall? If it is, how have you configured these settings to behave like HIPS?

I apologize if these questions are very basic. I'm still fairly new to these 2 programs.

Thank you so very much for any additional information you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 06:44:35 AM »
I have had no end of issues with the Comodo firewall and Avast, my solution was to switch to the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. Once I did that I had no issues at all. Hope that helps.