Author Topic: Just curious....  (Read 3658 times)

ardvark

Just curious....
« on: November 22, 2003, 06:33:25 PM »
Hi...

I have a problem with the updater function of Avast....it will begin the process of looking to the servers DURING the dialup process, resulting in a red error message. Is there a way I can somehow manually change WHEN it looks for updates each time I get online?

Thanks! :)

techie101

Re:Just curious....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 06:49:47 PM »
ardvark,

Do you mean that Avast starts to "seek" a server connection before your dialup is finished?  How did you determine this?

As far as I know, you cannot delay Avast's update process, only stop it from automatically downloading the updates.  Normally Avast will wait for an internet connection before starting the update process.

You can set Avast to "manual" update if you wish.  That should stop the error message, but you would loose the benefit of auto-updates.

I believe that you have other problems causing this.

What version of Avast are you using?
What update is listed in the About section?
Has the updater function working correctly before?

I'll be here.
techie

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 07:18:42 PM »
Hi Techie...

Yes, that is correct...it will begin to seek a server connection before the dialup procedure is completed. I have switched it to the manual update option but I would prefer the automatic if at all possible. I'm using a year old Conexant winmodem so I wonder if it's the fact of being a winmodem is what's causing Avast to "jump the gun?"
 ???

I have the most up to date, current version of Avast and I've had this problem ever since I started using it. I'm using Windows 98 SE on a Celeron II 400mhz, 256 MB RAM system, if that helps.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 07:26:12 PM by ardvark »

techie101

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 12:36:23 AM »
ardvark,

Technical has provided a few threads dealing with your problem.
It might require some reconfiguration of Avast.
See if this helps.  If not, posts your results and I will get back to  you.

Good luck,
Techie