Author Topic: Why Avast spams me??  (Read 6902 times)

Nospam

Why Avast spams me??
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
I use Avast free version. I have used it on three different  computers and I used three different email addresses. I had never been spammed before, but after registration, I receive a lot of spam and the email are very similar in all three email adrresses.
 I have never been registered on the forum, before today. So noone can say that my addresses have been token from the forum!
I have asked to other people who uses Avast free version and they told me that they receive the same spam.
I don't wanna be spammed, so I ask you to stop spamming. I can uninstall Avast but don't spam me, please.
Here the spam example
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:00:51 AM by Nospam »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why Avast spams me??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 01:40:45 PM »
avast! doesn't send out spam, how have you ascertained avast sent you this ?
What benefit would avast gain from spamming you, none, what purpose would it serve spamming its customers, none, in fact it would have the effect your showing, to drive them away, so there really is no reason for the to do it.

Headers in email can be forged, where does it say it came from ?

I get lots of spam, my anti-spam program takes care of it and some of it is like this, but avast isn't sending it. I have a number of email addresses that have never been notified to avast and for the most part to no one else.

There are many ways your virgin email address can end up on email spam lists. There are now many infected systems out there that act only as spam bots searching out email addresses. Many have their email address book and many other email addresses captured by an infected system and those addresses are transmitted to the spammers.

So if someone who you correspond with has an infected system it is entirely possible that your email will end up on these lists.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nospam

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
What benefit would avast gain from spamming you, none, what purpose would it serve spamming its customers, none, in fact it would have the effect your showing, to drive them away, so there really is no reason for the to do it.

I get lots of spam, my anti-spam program takes care of it and some of it is like this, but avast isn't sending it. I have a number of email addresses that have never been notified to avast and for the most part to no one else.

There are many ways your virgin email address can end up on email spam lists. There are now many infected systems out there that act only as spam bots searching out email addresses. Many have their email address book and many other email addresses captured by an infected system and those addresses are transmitted to the spammers.

So if someone who you correspond with has an infected system it is entirely possible that your email will end up on these lists.

I have registered the three email addresses not at the same time but in different months. Before registering I never had spam in those email addresses. After registration (not before!) have begun the spam with very similar emails.
The people I have asked to, are not my friends and I don't correspond with them.  They have registered Avast and receive the same spamming emails!!

If isn't Alwil, there is someone who gets into Alwil data.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:50:27 PM by Nospam »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »
Nobody gets ALWIL data.

Do you have the option "Hide email address from public" checked in the forum profile? If not, then anybody logged on the forum can see it. If you have this option checked, there's no way the e-mail address can get to the spammer from here.

Oh, one question maybe: where exactly did you register? (I mean, what was the URL of the registration page?)

Nospam

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:02:24 PM »
I am not talking about the registration in the forum (I have registered me only today!).

I am talking about the email addresses I gave you to have the code that is needed to activate the software, once dowloaded
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 06:04:28 PM by Nospam »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
That's exactly what Igor asked you. He didn't mean "where did you register to be a member of this forum" because it is obvious that you have to register here in forum and there is no other place where you could possibly get registration to become a part of this forum.

He meant: where did you register to get a license number for Home Edition of avast! ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Nospam

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »
That's exactly what Igor asked you. He didn't mean "where did you register to be a member of this forum" because it is obvious that you have to register here in forum and there is no other place where you could possibly get registration to become a part of this forum.

He meant: where did you register to get a license number for Home Edition of avast! ?

This:

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ITA

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »
I don't wanna be spammed, so I ask you to stop spamming. I can uninstall Avast but don't spam me, please.
Alwil Company does not spam or use the email addresses with third party.
I can assure after beeing here in forum for 5 years  8)
The best things in life are free.

psychichigh

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »
The email address I used to register Avast! free edition still hasn't received spam. I have been using it for over a year now and still not even 1 spam email.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
Nospam, if you registered on that page, then the e-mail address certainly wasn't provided to any third party.

The reason I was asking about the URL is that I remember there was a similar problem with one Italian reseller/distributor in the past who used to have their own registration page. In such a case, we cannot really guarantee anything... but if you are using our official pages, nobody has access to the registration e-mails (and we don't send any spam either, of course).

Reslayer

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »

I have registered the three email addresses not at the same time but in different months. Before registering I never had spam in those email addresses. After registration (not before!) have begun the spam with very similar emails.
The people I have asked to, are not my friends and I don't correspond with them.  They have registered Avast and receive the same spamming emails!!

If isn't Alwil, there is someone who gets into Alwil data.

Man, there is an SSL registration form, you could see that.
Open-content forms send their data AS IS, without encryption, so any system your packets route thru can read it and get your email address from there.
So DO NOT BLAME ALWIL, BLAME YOUR HEAD!!

Sorry, I do clean my mailbox every day too, even my mail provider cleans more than 60% of mail due to spam. (mail.yandex.ru)

SYAZ,
   Reslayer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »
Open-content forms send their data AS IS, without encryption, so any system your packets route thru can read it and get your email address from there.
Well, your computer must be hacked to allow this. If not, any Internet communication, at any time, in any way, could be monitored and this is not so easy.
I suggest do not make hard statements, with CAPS, without care.
The best things in life are free.