Author Topic: Avast is doing very bad on boot times  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Avast is doing very bad on boot times
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »
85 seconds or more to load is unbelievable...
Something has to be quickly improved because it is deteriorating the boot time noticeably...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast is doing very bad on boot times
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »
Is it perhaps instup that is causing it ?
instup runs at boot time and I've seen it using up to 100% of the cpu cycles.
Not saying this is causing it, but worth to have a look at I would say.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Hi tech, what is the tool used to capture this screenshot ? We do, of course, monitor the performance impact of Avast and for the boot times our hard limit is 130% of the clean system. 85sec is nowhere near such limit, unless your PC is really slow, so I'd like to know how do you measure this, so we can reproduce. Does this mean it takes you 85 seconds before you can log in? Or before your favorite app starts (such as Browser or MS Word) ? Or what is the moment the tool (or you) consider as the end of the boot process?

Avast service does quite a few things during its startup, slightly more during the first boot and less during subsequent boots. We also try to ensure the virus database is up to date (as soon as we seen an internet connection), this might also add to the work load on the CPU during boots. Would you rather have avast wait a few minutes before doing the VPS update? We are considering such option as well.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »
<snip>
Would you rather have avast wait a few minutes before doing the VPS update? We are considering such option as well.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Some time ago there was a method of delaying the VPS update by editing the avast5.ini file. I don't know if this is now possible ?
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
RASWaitSeconds=120
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120

I suspect not as we also have instup.exe in the mix as well.

Not to mention emergency update checks also, so it can get a bit heavy around boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »
The thing is that you would somewhat want this to happen as soon as possible - but we are able to change this and postpone the updates for a few minutes to go lighter on the CPU and Disk during boot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »
For me the VPS updates isn't something of a real urgent concern, given we also have the streaming updates and the fact that these streaming updates can now be multi-stream not just single-stream updates.

I have just modified the avast5.ini with the old hack and will monitor that to see what it is like.

I regularly see the instup.exe in the task manager for extended periods and using high CPU at times. Whilst this isn't too much hassle on this PC (it is still a reasonable CPU, etc,) but my netbook is very slow at the best of times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:10:01 AM »
Would you rather have avast wait a few minutes before doing the VPS update? We are considering such option as well.
Personally, I'd like to see such an option, it would help esp. on slower machines.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see such an option, it would help esp. on slower machines.

Agreed and it should be in the UI either General or Troubleshooting, so the user doesn't have to modify the avast5.ini file.

Offline Zeniit

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »

Agreed and it should be in the UI either General or Troubleshooting, so the user doesn't have to modify the avast5.ini file.

+1
Windows 7 Pro 64bit -  Avast IS BETA channel - Firefox 47.0.1 x64 - Thunderbird 45.2 - avast! mobile security

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »
Slowness is still in NEW Beta released - 2016.11.2.2258 confirmed.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »

Any of these performance enhancing tweaks should be made easy for most users.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet