Author Topic: Email virus deleted but appear in Inbox  (Read 2355 times)

Yootha

Email virus deleted but appear in Inbox
« on: November 28, 2005, 02:09:03 PM »
Dear List, Just lately I've been getting alerts about infected emails and although I follow the recommendations, by pressing the delete and permanent delete buttons the message appears in my inbox as infected. Should I worry please?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Email virus deleted but appear in Inbox
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:12:43 PM »
Normally, the "Delete" action deletes just the infected attachment, not the whole message (which is noted at the bottom of the message). Are you sure the attachment has really been delivered to your mailbox?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email virus deleted but appear in Inbox
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
This could well be an email from a dumb ISP's email server telling you (incorrectly) that an email you sent was infected. I say dumb because they simply report it to the from address which is often faked and comes from the addressbook of someone you have communicated with in the past. They are infected and their system is sending infected emails using email address from the addressbook to use as the From address and To email address.

Or worse still they are faked emails designed to look like an ISP warning of an infected email you sent and you open the attachment to see what it is all about and bang you are infected.

You may well get these email for a little while until whoever it is that is infected gets cleaned up or the virus uses a different From address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security