Author Topic: Do I have a virus?  (Read 18576 times)

Offline bgranat

• Granat Editorial Services
Re: Do I have a virus?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
OK the chrome thing is legitimate https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/ 

You can set Avast to detect PUP's

Go to Settings > General
Place a tick in "Scan for Potentially Unwanted Programmes (PUP's) "

I ticked it on my General page, but I show different items than yours does. See attached file.

I don't know what "RUN below command one by one" means on the wiki page you posted. Should I do that? Can you tell me how to do it?

So should I do a full scan now, or should I do the procedure on the page whose URL you gave, if I can?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:52:42 PM by bgranat »

Offline bgranat

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:30 PM »

Offline bgranat

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
I did the Solution #1 on https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/. Now we wait, I guess.

I could do a full scan now, too, right, while I'm working on the computer?

Offline bgranat

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »

The dinosaur is back!! Even after I did Solution #1 here: https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/.

I don't know how to do Solution #2 because I don't know what driver software I need.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
How is chrome behaving now ?

I did solution number 2 on https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-fix-dns-probe-finished-no-internet-in-chrome/ and it said that I already had the latest driver installed.

Now what? The dino has returned, though I have some Internet connectivity still.

I think the last thing is to do a scan now, right?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »
I do not believe this is malware but more likely a wireless issue.  Do you have an Ethernet cable to connect directly to the router ? 

The commands I ran with the last FRST reset all the network elements so there was no requirement to do the MBAM bits as that is just to do with a specific problem that you are not experiencing

Offline bgranat

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
I was forced to get a new modem, a router with Wi-Fi capability. I have not set that up yet. Could that be the problem? I don't know where the instructions are. They are here somewhere.  It is a D-Link router. Does this help?                                           

Offline bgranat

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »
I do not believe this is malware but more likely a wireless issue.  Do you have an Ethernet cable to connect directly to the router ? 

The commands I ran with the last FRST reset all the network elements so there was no requirement to do the MBAM bits as that is just to do with a specific problem that you are not experiencing

I just plugged in the modem six weeks or so ago and just started using it instead of my old modem. I figured that I didn't HAVE to set up the Wi-Fi. But I guess I was wrong.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »
I had Verizon (phone company) help me set up Wi-Fi on router, but I don't have Wi-Fi on this computer, so I can use it only with my smart phone. She said she didn't think it was a Wi-Fi issue because of that fact.

So we'll see. If I see the dino again, I'll post again. After that, I guess I'll go to the Total Support people.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »
How is chrome behaving now ?
It is still happening. See attached file.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
So you are connected to the router by an Ethernet cable is that correct ?  If so do you have another cable to test ? 

You can get a wireless USB for about £10 / $15  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_review-rank?rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A!340832031%2Cn%3A429888031%2Cn%3A430581031&qid=1444229266&sort=review-rank

Offline bgranat

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
So you are connected to the router by an Ethernet cable is that correct ?  If so do you have another cable to test ? 

You can get a wireless USB for about £10 / $15  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_review-rank?rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A!340832031%2Cn%3A429888031%2Cn%3A430581031&qid=1444229266&sort=review-rank

My desktop doesn't support wifi, so what I have is a hot spot only. I have no Ether net cable. Verizon said to empty something,but I don't want to lose the auto sign ins I have.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
How do you access the hotspot ?

Offline bgranat

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
It was just set up last night. I signed on to it with my smartphone, and I have an HP mini (netbook) that I have connected to the Wi-Fi created last night. My netbook is a back-up computer that I seldom use.

Offline bgranat

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:31 AM »
The Avast people reinstalled the program on my computer, but the problem came back within ten minutes. I called them back and was told the only thing I could try was reinstalling the operating system. I might as well just buy that new computer now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:23:20 AM by bgranat »