Author Topic: Avast waking up PC every 4 minutes from sleep. Wake Source Timer AvastSvc.exe  (Read 36446 times)

REDACTED

Still happening with my Win10 system.  Like the others have said, If I reboot then sleep mode works normally.... until the next scan.  Avast did a scan last night and, TA DA!, sleep mode doesn't work today.

Hello guys,
thanks for reporting this. We have found another case of a similar waitable timer - this time inside the Virtual Box sources we use for NG. This is going to be fixed in the next refresh. Please watch for the Beta channel.

Thanks a lot,
Lukas.

There have been 5 updates to Avast since Lukas quote, so the so called fix either hasn't been implemented or it hasn't worked...   I first reported this problem on this Post https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=176091.msg1249626#msg1249626 on 06 September 2015 (8 months ago to the day!!!).  I've almost given up with Avast...  I'm assuming that they can't find/repeat the bug, or they think it's a Win10 bug and aren't doing anything about it, rather than finding a workround.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ Chris-G

As per Lukas's quoted post, they found the issue in the "Virtual Box sources we use for NG."  The current beta session 11.2.2263 sees the NG module removed to be handled in the cloud. See extract below.

See https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=186192.0
Quote from: MartinZ
+ Removed NG (VHardware virtualization) - moved the technology to cloud, in next betas we will introduce new flow for handling unknown files
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Let's hope this finally fixes this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Unless your are running the current beta build, it won't as the fix is in the beta build 11.2.2263.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Unless your are running the current beta build, it won't as the fix is in the beta build 11.2.2263.

Nice to see that it should be fixed soon, though I think I'll wait for the New Version release rather than trying the beta.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Nice to see that it should be fixed soon, though I think I'll wait for the New Version release rather than trying the beta.

Given the length of this topic, I'm sure there are many other who will be happy too.

REDACTED

After many, many months Avast have not fixed this.

They have, in the meantime, added lots of security bells and whistles.

If they don't have the technical expertise to fix this fault, should we be trusting their security?

(For me, my Acronis program wakes my computer on schedule, backs it up, then allows it to go back to sleep. Why can't Avast do this? Could they try asking Acronis for some tips?)

REDACTED

Apparently the fix is in beta, but it's been in that beta for at least a month now.

REDACTED

Thanks for that info :)

REDACTED

So still not fixed, because my PC still wakes up minutes after going to sleep and the lastwake output is still telling me it is due to avastsvc.exe?

I guess that as it's been an issue for a very long time (at least since 2015), with several program updates released since it was first reported, it won't (or can't?) be fixed by Avast?  :(

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
So still not fixed, because my PC still wakes up minutes after going to sleep and the lastwake output is still telling me it is due to avastsvc.exe?

I guess that as it's been an issue for a very long time (at least since 2015), with several program updates released since it was first reported, it won't (or can't?) be fixed by Avast?  :(
Possible avastsvc.exe is scanning an wireless keyboard or mouse?  Changing to a PS2 version may fix your issue. 
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

Ya, I can confirm this.  After the latest update as of June 21, this still isn't fixed.  I still can't put my computer to sleep and have it run a full scan at a scheduled time, or even let it run a scan then put itself to sleep.

REDACTED

mchain - thanks for that feedback, but surely it is something which should be fixed, rather than advise users to go back to what is now considered a bit old fashioned - ie wires? The (very long) thread keeps on referencing a fix being 'soon' so is it actually being addressed? Is anyone from Avast able to say it is on the bug list, about to be fixed or possibly 'sorry, it's just something we cannot fix', so at least we would then have to option of buying an old mouse and keyboard or adopting an alternative product?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
@ barnek022,

Doesn't appear to be a bug in avast:  http://thehackernews.com/2016/02/mousejack-hack-computer.html

Would rather appear to be avast reacting to traffic via avastsvc.exe process running via usb mouse or keyboard transmissions.

Get the latest secure updates from whatever manufacturer you're using and install.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Henry90

Re: Avast waking up PC every 4 minutes from sleep. Wake Source Timer AvastSvc.exe
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
This is happening on my PC as well.  AvastSVC.exe wakes it up every couple minutes.  is there a fix yet, or is it time to look for an alternative?