Author Topic: Avast waking up PC every 4 minutes from sleep. Wake Source Timer AvastSvc.exe  (Read 36208 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast waking up PC every 4 minutes from sleep. Wake Source Timer AvastSvc.exe
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2016, 06:30:24 PM »
I still have the same problem since I first reported this over 12 months ago.  The problem for me started when I installed Win10 on launch day, and have hoped that on every update of Avast or Windows since that the problem would go away....  It hasn't.
The suggestion a couple of posts up that the problem is caused by a wireless mouse/keyboard is wrong in my case.  I'm using a laptop, and do occasionally use a Logitech wireless M570 trackball, though the receiver is never plugged in when the problem occurs after a scheduled scan.
I find it quite amazing that Avast has come nowhere near finding a solution to this...  It doesn't matter where the bug is, it's Avast that needs to sort the problem out.  If it's a Microsoft bug then Avast needs to write a workround... Something that programmers have always had to do.
Of the 4 PC's I have, I've migrated 3 of them to Avira.  I must admit that Avira's menus leaves lot to be desired as well as only being able to create one customised scan, but it does work.  The only reason I have stuck with Avast on my main 4th PC is that this PC is used for mail and Avast has a mail shield.  I don't think it will be long though before I migrate this one either.  A pity since I've used Avast since their main interface looked like a car cassette player...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast waking up PC every 4 minutes from sleep. Wake Source Timer AvastSvc.exe
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »
If it's a Microsoft bug then Avast needs to write a workround
No, then MS needs to fix it.

Already checked the bios for the power saving and wake-up settings ?

REDACTED

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2016, 07:24:05 PM »
If it's a Microsoft bug then Avast needs to write a workround
No, then MS needs to fix it.

Already checked the bios for the power saving and wake-up settings ?

It's a good job that Macrium Reflect don't have your attitude... They'd be out of business by now if they did. They had reported a bug to MS prior to the release of Win10 Anniversary, that there were bugs in the Task Scheduler 1.0 API.  MS didn't bother fixing the bugs. Macrium Reflect had to have a major re-write to get the backup scheduling to work again, i.e. a workround.
If you were a programmer working for me with an attitude like that, you'd be sacked on the spot, as the objective is to solve the problem, not pass the blame (even though it might be MS's fault) and solve nothing.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
With your attitude I don't even want to work for you.

MS has a bug in their software, that means they need to fix it or are you gonna pay all the developers for the work they have to do ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:37:25 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
A good discussion , i joined see.

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »
A good discussion , i joined see.
Not really.  I've said my bit, and I don't want to get involved in a slanging match.  What I will say though is that this problem (looking at this thread) affects both the free and paid for versions of Avast, therefore paid for customers especially, expect there to be a fix.  The Macrium example I gave also affected both free and paid for customers by the way, not just paid for.  (For Eddy's benefit, the paid for customers pay for it as this sort of bug fixing should have already been factored into the price).
Another important point, is that you could be waiting a long time (Possibly Never) for MS to fix the bug (Assuming this is an MS bug).  MS tend to concentrate on fixing bugs that affect there own software first, also if the bug is, for example, in code that is to maintain backward compatibility for programs that were written to run on XP, or OS's that MS are trying to discourage, then they will tend to be reluctant to fix it.  The Macrium problem was exactly that, as Macrium was specifically using the Task Scheduler 1.0 API so that their software was compatible with OS's XP through to Win10.  Has this wakeup problem come about due to Avast, also wanting to be compatible with XP through to Win10?   Who knows...

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2016, 11:48:42 PM »
So there have been a few program updates since I last tried to schedule a scan and have it wake up my pc to run the scan.  I thought I'd try it again.

The scan did run, but when I woke up in the morning my computer was locked up, and after I rebooted and started playing a game, the video subsystem was unstable until I disabled the scheduled scan along with the option to have Avast wake the computer from sleep.

So something is still f*xxored with Avast, scheduled scans and waking from sleep.  The fact that it screwed over the video subsystem makes me think that Avast isn't attempting to wake the computer using the standard Winblows functionality.  Perhaps it is using a kernel level function, but whatever it is, it isn't working.

It would be nice to see this fixed.  The only reason I'm still using Avast is the Webrep browser plugin for Firefox.  If it wasn't for that, I'd be using Windows Defender.

In spite of the fact that I appreciate the Webrep plugin, overall in recent years Avast has become a bloated mess, which, to add insult to injury, is now yet another data collection and advertising platform.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:51:01 PM by olstairs »

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2016, 12:04:14 AM »
I also have this issue, have filed a ticket.