Author Topic: Avast! Animation Dissipeared  (Read 8744 times)

wendy k. walker

Avast! Animation Dissipeared
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:29:20 PM »
Hi, I have been running Avast! for some time now, and I have gotten used to seeing the animation running at the bottom of my monitor screen as Avast! checks all of the files that I am opening, or using.

Now all of a sudden that animation has stopped. The avast! ball still spins like crazy but there isn't anything telling me what files Avast! is scanning.

Can someone tell me why this happened? Is it something that I need to worry about?

Next question; I had the VRDB set to run when the screen saver was on, today I found that it had been disabled. I didn't do that, so can you tell me how it reset it's self like that? Is that something that I need to worry about?

Next question; Here lately I have been getting a lot of "Red" notices from Avast! saying that it could not update, and I have been updating manually. Can you tell me what is causing this, what do I need to do to correct the problem, and is it something that I should worry about?

Thanks for any help.
Wendy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:47:12 PM by wendy k. walker »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Animation Dissipeared
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:22:32 AM »
This isn't usually set by default and many when they check it when tweaking the settings complain about all the activity. See image, tick the box in any provider that you wish to display this information.

Check this thread for more info on the auto update issue that is affecting many but not all users
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17501.0 it is quite a big thread. Thankfully you can still use the manual update function.

A browse of the avast help file would be useful in helping you get the best from avast.

VRDB - The latest program update may well have reset this, although I can't say for certain, right click the avast icon, VRDB and select the screen saver option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:51:29 AM »
Can someone tell me why this happened? Is it something that I need to worry about?
No. The ball sppinning means scanning, just you don't have to know what's being scanned. If you want, follow David's advice.

Next question; I had the VRDB set to run when the screen saver was on, today I found that it had been disabled. I didn't do that, so can you tell me how it reset it's self like that? Is that something that I need to worry about?
I think new version haven't changed the behavior of VRDB. It's not disabled by default, on contrary, it should run while screensaver is active.

Next question; Here lately I have been getting a lot of "Red" notices from Avast! saying that it could not update, and I have been updating manually. Can you tell me what is causing this, what do I need to do to correct the problem, and is it something that I should worry about?
Wendy, when does this happen? Just after login of at any time?
The best things in life are free.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »
Hi DavidR Thanks for the reply. I have everything checked that I can check, and I am running in "Paranoid Mode" so to speak.

Even though all of that activity might be distracting at times, I kind of like it because I can see what files are being used from time to time.

I will check out that thread that you gave me too. I say I'm having update problems because every time that I log on I get a red flag saying that Avast! could not connect to the server. I used to get a blue flag saying that Avast! had been updated. I haven't seen that for some time now.

I have reset the VRDB to run while the screen-saver is on, and so far it is still set that way.

Hi Tech, Thanks for your reply too. Cool, whenever that little ball goes crazy and starts spinning I know that Avast! is working, however it had worried me because something had reset all of the settings in the control panel from the custom settings that I had set, back to the normal settings.

I had set the VRDB to run while the screen-saver was on, but something had reset it to the "Disable" setting. I have reset it to run when the screen-saver is on, and I will be checking it every day to see if it gets reset again.

As to the red flags, yes I almost always get a red flag every time I log on, however, I also get a red flag from time to time after I've been logged on for awhile.

I use to get a blue flag, regularly, saying that Avast! had been updated. Now I seldom see a blue flag.

I have been using the manual update feature to make sure that Avast! is up to date.

So, now I have another question; Would it help if I uninstall/reinstall Avast!?

Thanks for your help guys.
Wendy

wendy k. walker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:06:09 PM »
Hi DavidR, I just checked out that thread, and found this reply that you had poster >

> First a program update is going to trigger several firewall confirmations, firstly avast.setup otherwise you won't be able to update, check your firewall allows avast.setup if you find an entry for it is it blocked, change it or delete the entry and do a manual update, your firewall should ask permission. <

OK maybe this is relevant to my problem because avast.setup is not listed in my firewall, however avast! updates, and web scanner are.

So what do I have to do to get avast.setup to show up in Zone Alarm?

Thanks again,
Wendy

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:19:03 PM »
Do a manual update right click on the avast icon, Updating, iAVS, avast should initiate a check for updates (assuming you are connected to the internet) and Zone Alarm should ask you permission for it to access.

If it doesn't ask yet it doesn't connect, it may be blocked by ZA (but avast.setup should be there but blocked) or it could be the problem with 731 and updating mentioned in that link I gave you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wendy k. walker

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 03:46:29 AM »
Hi DavidR, Thanks for the reply. OK I am not having any problem updating manually.

I have not seen any red flags telling me that there was a problem updating in the past several days, and I have seen one blue flag telling me that Avast! had successfully updated. Hopefully the problem has corrected it's self.

I have looked in Zone Alarm, and I still do not have avast.setup listed in there, where it should be. What do I do to get avast.setup into Zone Alarm?

Next, when I right click on the little "a" ball, then click on "on-access protection control", the control panel opens. I use the custom settings, I have everything set on custom. OK, I close it, then reopen it, and everything has been reset to "high", is that normal? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Wendy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
I have looked in Zone Alarm, and I still do not have avast.setup listed in there, where it should be. What do I do to get avast.setup into Zone Alarm?
The name listed into ZA program settings is: avast! Antivirus update.
If you click it, you'll see more info and the name avast.setup file there.
To 'add' it you must manually invoke the update, just this. But like you've said, you don't have problems with updates, so that entry must be there into ZA settings and allowed to connect.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »
Hi Wendy !

Just stopped by to say hi !  ;D Nice avatar, btw  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 05:00:13 PM »
And there was me trying to be polite and not mention the size of Wendy's avatar/s ;D We try to keep the avatar/cup size to 100X100.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 05:09:44 PM »
I almost sent my first reply in this thread regarding the size, but since I saw no one else complained why would I either ?  ;D

Such a nice guys here at avast! technical support forum, no one complains about things like this... I bet even if she had 1280x1024 still no one would say anything, haha  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm sure some would even ask: "...ok, where is the rest of the photo ?"

Oh my God, I had no clue that those wonderful lime-green colors could look that sexy on woman... unbelievable nice !  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 07:45:58 PM »
Oh my God, I had no clue that those wonderful lime-green colors could look that sexy on woman... unbelievable nice !
Oh, I must be color blind, I thought the color was pink  ???  ;D ???  :-[

Welcome to the forum Wendy. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

wendy k. walker

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi Tech, Thanks for the reply Boo. OK, I finally figured out how to see what you are talking about, and avast.setup is right where you said it should be. So I guess that whatever kink I might have had may have worked it's self out.

So right now everything has been answered except for this -->

Next, when I right click on the little "a" ball, then click on "on-access protection control", the control panel opens. I use the custom settings, I have everything set on custom. OK, I close it, then reopen it, and everything has been reset to "high", is that normal? or am I doing something wrong?

Is that the way it is supposed to do, or is something evil resetting it from custom to high?

Thanks, Wendy

Hi S.Z.Craftec, Thanks for dropping by, and for the nice comment too.

Hi DavidR, Thank you. You're very polite, and quite the gentleman. Hey Boo, I just uploaded it, and that's the way that it came out.

Should I go in for breast reduction surgery, and if so, how do I get it to shrink?

Hello again S.Z.Craftec, Thanks for not fussing at me, but you could have said something. I don't want to be breaking any of the rules here.

*blushing* 1280x1024 "WooF!" that would have been big, and sorry but the rest of the photo stays hidden. Thank you for all of the compliments though.

Hi bob3160, Thanks for replying. No it's definitely not pink.

Thanks to all of you.
Wendy

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 08:35:30 PM »
Oh my God and you are real...  :: screams :: I want to marry you !!!! Ugh I forgot... I better stop now...  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 08:45:52 PM »
For the sake of staying on-topic I'd like to ask anyone who'd like to discuss something else than disappearing animations to move, e.g., to IM's...  ;)

Thank you
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.