Author Topic: Sleasy marketing tacktics by Avast  (Read 2339 times)

REDACTED

Sleasy marketing tacktics by Avast
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
So avast did an auto update a yesterday on my laptop, and as usual they tried to include a search engine switch. I opted out, already have a search that I like. This morning I start my computer and yahoo is trying to install an addon to my Firefox browser. Yahoo search was the search engine the Avast tried to feed me. Related... no doubt. They my Avast program pops up and tells me that the Yahoo tab add on is not trusted. THEN WHY DID YOU FEED IT TO ME.
Avast's marketing tactics are not much different than the viruses the claim to protect us from (popups that offer "help" by but then turn out to me a sales pitch, warning me that there is a problem when there isn't, stealth installs of unwanted programs with "updates")
Why the sleazy tactics? Is you program not able to promote itself honestly? If you want to be trusted, you might opt to lead with honesty? Where did you find your marketing people, in political circles? Do I need an additional level of protection to keep me safe from you?  >:(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Sleasy marketing tacktics by Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:01 PM »
it is usually chrome that comes with avast (you can opt out) so i dont think that yahoo is related to avast, unless something has changed?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Avast doesn't install the Yahoo search engine, you've picked that up from somewhere else I'm afraid.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
If Firefox was recently updated, that could be it.  The default search engine for Firefox is now Yahoo.  All you have to do is go to Firefox Options, select the Search tab and pick the search engine of your choice.  Firefox should have honored your previous settings, but sometimes it doesn't.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner